Saturday, March 15, 2003

I received a little boost today. The CEO of the company I work for often has his leadership read books that he thinks are helpful. The current edition was started today and was written by a consultant who started out working with athletes. His job wasn't to work with their swing, dribble or golf swing but rather to work with them on energy management. The main idea so far is that you don't manage time, you manage energy.

That's not the good part yet. The good part was that he mentioned that athletes don't have it nearly as tough as those of us who work year round instead of seasonally and have to handle stress and energy all day instead of a focused few hours. That felt good. Why? Because despite my innate knowledge that these people are human, I haven't been able to help idolizing them for most of my life. No, I'm not the type to chase for autographs, but I will passionately celebrate with the athlete I root for when they reach levels of achievement.

Let's face it, I wish it was me out there taking my hacks against Maddox. I'd show them all how to be patient and just poke it to center field...wait...right field away from Jones. But it isn't me so there is a transference that takes place. Part of me becomes the star and the star represents me. Since I could never do it myself, I put those who could a little higher up than me.

Then this author comes along and says that I have it tougher than Chipper and he knows because he's worked with both. Well alright!


Okay, speaking of tougher, can anyone tell me how Oakland has been to the playoffs three straight years and still not have enough money to sign Tejada? Granted, they won MORE games without Giambi than they did with him, but how long can you consistently dump your best players and stay competitive. I would think that they would keep the core up the middle. The pitching is certainly outstanding and you will need to try to keep those three at least together. But then you keep arguably one of the top three shortstops in the game and a strong catcher and strong center fielder and you have a shot every year. Something stinks and someone should check those books.


And lastly, there is great sadness in learning of Tug McGraw's brain cancer. Remember, I am a Yankee fan so the Mets were lower than Toronto on the map. But Tug was the heart and soul of many of those great Met teams. And he had so much fun doing it. At least Tug never got cheated on the fun scale. And he sure has a pretty daughter-in-law. I'm rooting for you, Tug. I hope you can beat this thing. You gotta believe, kid.

No comments: