Monday, July 01, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Monday: July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day to my friends north of the border. And Happy Birthday to my first wife, a lovely lady and mother to my children. June went by in a blur. But I guess that is what all older people say.

I am excited about a new month though because May and June were so ordinary and blah when it came to picking games. Both months just scraped by a bit over .500 and the season's tally is still riding a hot April with no help from the last two months. Yesterday ended the month in typical fashion at 8-7. I am so tired of being just barely adequate at picking these things.

So what has the new month to offer? A fresh slate. More of a crystallizing of what teams are good and which are not. The best weather of Northern Maine. And, with any kind of luck, better picking. Let's get it started with Monday, July 1:

  • The Blue Jays over the Tigers: R.A. Dickey has pitched three good outings in a row. The Blue Jays are at home and despite a tough series against the Red Sox are playing much better ball. The Tigers go with Jose Alvarez, a fill in starter, which gives the Jays an even better chance at winning.
  • The Nationals over the Brewers: The Nationals came out of their hitting slump yesterday and isn't Bryce Harper coming back today? On top of all that, my man, Jordan Zimmermann is pitching. Yovani Gallardo is nothing to sneeze at for the Brewers however.
  • The Mets over the Diamondbacks: The Mets seem a lot more versatile without Duda and Davis and are playing a bit more of an exciting game. Not that they are great or anything. Shaun Marcum got his first win and the pick is for him to win again. Wade Miley has not been able to come close to his form of last season.
  • The Marlins over the Padres: I just wrote about Jose Fernandez over the weekend, so it would be stupid of me to pick against him. I like him especially at home where he has not lost and has great peripherals. Jason Marquis has been great all year but got whacked last time out.
  • The Reds over the Giants: I just noticed that I have not picked an away team yet. That is kind of scary. Bronson Arroyo is no stopper and has to be really on to win. But even if he is not on, the Reds should be able to score a lot off of Mike Kickham, who has not impressed in his short career so far.
  • The Yankees over the Twins: I have picked against the Yankees for six straight days and that has worked out nicely, although it makes me sad. But I like Andy Pettitte against the Twins and he has a history of handling Mauer pretty well. Scott Diamond is yet another lefty and the Yankees hate lefties. But Diamond is not a high-quality lefty, so that gives them a chance at least.

And the Game of the Day!
  • The Bay Rays over the Astros: I will take Matt Moore at home just about against anyone. Against Houston, yeah. Besides, even without Evan Longoria, I do not think Dallas Keuchel will be much of an obstacle for the Rays.

Yesterday: 8-7
Week: 8-7
June: 211-197
Season: 676-546
Games of the Day: 52-37

No comments: