Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: July 10, 2013

I believe that I have picked Justin Verlander to win the Game of the Day three times this season. All three seemed like obvious mismatches. He has lost all three. Last night was the third. I do not think I will ever pick him for the Game of the Day again. Nor do I think I will pick the Yankees to win the rest of the season. It is starting to feel like a Daffy Duck cartoon where he keeps getting hit while trying to say something and he sounds more punch drunk each time. Yeah, that's me picking the Yankees.

And the same woes that are plaguing the Yankees, namely a total lack of offense, seems to be plaguing the Pirates too. Gerrit Cole pitched a heck of a game. And lost to Dan Straily, a guy the Pirates should have scored three or four runs against. I am starting to worry about those Pirates.

In fact, I think the picks started 0-4, so I feel rather fortunate to finish the day just in the black. Let's see if I can back to my winning ways today. Wednesday's picks:

  • The Marlins over the Braves: The Marlins are starting to sink again after a very good June. But Jacob Turner really has not had a bad outing since coming to the big leagues. I think he shuts down the Braves. Giancarlo Stanton has been quiet and erupts against Paul Maholm.
  • The Reds over the Brewers: I cannot believe that the Brewers are going to throw out there poor Johnny Hellweg again. The poor guy has gotten his head handed to him in his first two starts. Mike Leake should fare better and even if he does not, the Reds win a high scoring game.
  • The Giants over the Mets: To state that the Giants are in trouble is stating the obvious. They are now nine games below .500 and in last place in the NL West. Who would have thunk it. But I think they win tonight as Matt Cain pitches well and Zack Wheeler gives up too many base runners.
  • The Yankees over the Royals: I know, I know. Daffy Duck. Ivan Nova got some confidence in his last outing and Wade Davis is Phil Hughes from a different mother. What the heck, eh?
  • The Pirates over the Athletics: I am being stubborn here too. I know I am. But, here is the thing, Francisco Liriano has been really good and Tommy Milone has allowed at least three runs in each of his last four starts. If the Pirates continue that and score three or more runs, they win.
  • The Orioles over the Rangers: This pick has been wrong two days in a row. But the third time is the charm. Wei-Yin Chen is back for the Orioles and he should keep the O's in the game. Josh Lindblom inspires no confidence for me and the Orioles' offense wakes up.
  • The Indians over the Blue Jays: In the immortal words of The Who, "We won't be fooled again." The Blue Jays are a giant tease. They suck you in and then break your heart. Justin Masterson comes up big and Nick Swisher and Carlos Santana sink Esmil Rogers.
  • The Nationals over the Phillies: Cliff Lee has been great. No doubt. But Gio Gonzalez is just as good and can match Lee for zeroes. The Nationals could take this one and get off their losing ways. Their offense needs to push a couple of runs across though and they are not hitting lefties well. hmm...
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: I am so over the Tigers. They are the worst good team in baseball. They should win 100 games in that division, but they will probably win like 85 to take it. And then power their way through the playoffs. They make me ill. Rick Porcello over Dylan Axelrod.
  • The Rays over the Twins: The Rays, on the other hand, win the games they are supposed to win. I can pretty much count on them. Jeremy Hellickson is never as good as his record. All he does is win. Narrative: He is a winner. Kevin Correia is your typical Twins' pitcher. Win some, lose some, batted balls.
  • The Cubs over the Angels: Bet you did not know that the Cubs have won seven of their last ten. Surprised? However, they never seem to win when Jeff Samardzija pitches. Perhaps they will today. C.J. Wilson is doing his typical middle of the season slide.
  • The Cardinals over the Astros: The Cards need to win all these games and take advantage of the Pirates having a losing streak. They should win tonight with Shelby Miller pitching. Jordan Lyles still sounds like a cross between a country singer and a soap opera character.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: The D-backs have to be worried. The Dodgers have gone from last place and like ten games out to second place and two and a half back. And they have talked about trading Tyler Skaggs. That would be a very big mistake as he is a terrific young pitcher and will out-pitch Hyun-jin Ryu tonight.
  • The Padres over the Rockies: Hey, did you notice my Eric Stults, pick the opposite thing, has worked twice in a row? Yeah. Anyway, I have no idea who is going to win this game. Jorge De La Rosa starts for the Rockies and has too many parts to his name. Andrew Cashner seems like a bright young arm, but he is not blowing anyone away yet. So who knows.

And the Game of the Day!
  • The Red Sox over the Mariners: The Red Sox have already hit hard the two superstars of the Mariners' rotation. So will they lose to someone like Aaron Harang? That does not sound likely. I think the Red Sox are going to stay on top of the AL East all season. I think they are that good. Oh, Felix Doubront pitches for the Red Sox.

Yesterday: 8-7
Week: 28-15
Month: 78-47
Season: 755-593
Games of the Day: 59-39

2 comments:

Vincent Rizzo said...

Hello Sir,
It's me again, like you I'm a life long NY Yankee fan. Last night versus the Royals was HELL!!!!

Bottom first - bases-loaded and 3rd base coach Kevin Long doesn't send the base-runner on 2nd base with a single to left field. Never mind the Yanks aren't hitting, but don't you want to try and open up maybe a HUGE Inning??? Bases loaded one out and the Yanks come away with one run.

I'll never ever bad mouth the Yanks but this is getting tough, CC and the Yanks in the past have OWNED Kansas City but this is a different error.

Good luck buddy, you and I other than were both life-long Yankee fans have something else in common.

William J. Tasker said...

Thanks for the comments, Vincent. Our team has had a nice run, so it's hard to complain.