Wednesday, July 24, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: July 24, 2013

The picks came out on top yesterday by two games. But it was a convoluted day. The Yankees came back on closer, Joe Nathan, to win that game. I should have stuck with Jose Fernandez. And yet, I correctly picked the Astros to win and for Carlos Torres to shut down the Braves. There was some brilliance there parked in between some dung heaps.

Another full slate of games and I am late this morning. So here are Wednesday's picks:

  • The Athletics over the Astros: This day game features A.J. Griffin and Bud Norris. Norris is a very frustrating guy and any team that is considering him for trade possibilities should think twice. It is fitting that he is pitching against a guy named, A.J., because he reminds me a lot of a young A.J. Burnett.
  • The Angels over the Twins: As embarrassing as that loss was last night, the Angels should rebound with a win by Jered Weaver. He is that good a pitcher. Mike Pelfrey won his last game, but he is no match for Weaver.
  • The Indians over the Mariners: I want to go with Joe Saunders at home just because his rare good outings keep some contenders thinking that he can help them. Ha! But I like Scott Kazmir in this one in that big ballpark. I like underdog stories and I root for Kazmir. So sue me.
  • The Nationals over the Pirates: I am still in shock about the Nationals' season. It simply confounds me. Stephen Strasburg is all but forgotten this season because his record is 5-7. He team rarely supports him. He usually pitches well. Take today for example, he faces Francisco Liriano who will probably shut his team out. But I will take Strasburg on principle.
  • The Braves over the Mets: Jeremy Hefner was creamed in his last outing. I mean, he was tattooed. But he will bounce back today with a good outing. Unfortunately for him, Tim Hudson will be better. But I would not be surprised if the results were the opposite.
  • The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: At this point, Matt Moore is more reliable than David Price. I think the Red Sox get to Price and Felix Doubront has a good enough day to keep the Red Sox as the best team in the American League.
  • The Rangers over the Yankees: Andy Pettitte has not been sharp for a long time. He has been decent. But not sharp. Matt Garza is going to make a difference for the Rangers. He has been in this position before pitching for a contender. It was a great pickup.
  • The Royals over the Orioles: Woo  boy. What am I thinking? I am thinking that I am tired of picking against Ervin Santana and him throwing gems for the last month. That is what I am thinking. Wei-Yin Chen is a worthy pitcher. But Santana has been exceptional of late.
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: Anibal Sanchez is better than John Danks. The Tigers proved they can win without Miguel Cabrera. The White Sox are a bad team.
  • The Brewers over the Padres: The Brewers have to be a mess inside right now. The Braun thing must be really hard to deal with. Not to mention that the Braun thing has lost them their best hitter. But I am picking them tonight because Kyle Lohse has been on a roll. That and I have no faith in Sean O'Sullivan despite his wonderful Irish name.
  • The Cardinals over the Phillies: I really have no faith in Jake Westbrook. But then again, I have no faith in John Lannon. So when you have no faith in either pitcher, you pick the better team--especially when they are home.
  • The Rockies over the Marlins: I keep waiting for the Rockies to bust out in their home park. Perhaps tonight will be the night. Jacob Turner has been good for the Marlins though. Hmm... Okay, with Jorge De La Rosa on the mound, I am still going that way.
  • The Cubs over the Diamondbacks: I am really, really torn over this one and have gone back and forth. I am going to go back to my initial instinct and pick the Cubs. It is based on Jeff Samardzija building on his great last appearance and how badly Ian Kennedy has pitched this season.
  • The Reds over the Giants: Someone pinch me when it comes to how well Chad Gaudin has been pitching for the Giants. Seriously!? Chad Gaudin!? But there it is. Two earned runs in his last 23+ innings. Amazing. So why am I picking Mike Leake instead? Because I am still not a believer.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Dodgers over the Blue Jays: Yeah. Put the Blue Jays in the same category as the Nationals. The Dodgers have been kicking their butts all week. Why should today be any different? Ricky Nolasco over Esmil Rogers.

Yesterday: 9-7
Week: 36-24
Month: 163-110
Season: 840-646
Games of the Day: 65-43

No comments: