Saturday, August 17, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: August 17, 2013

Yesterday was bad. Which makes this a very up and down week. I have had two bad days now and three really good days. And last night, when Aroldis Chapman blew the save for the Reds, the Game of the Day was sunk right along with his team. I do not get him. He should be untouchable, but it is like he is not in the game half the time.

I did not expect Andy Pettitte to pitch as well as he did nor for the Yankees to hit like they did against Felix Doubront and company. I need to start believing more in the Mets. I need to stop believing as much in the Rangers and Orioles. I need to finish off this week with a good Saturday.

Saturday's picks:

  • The Pirates over the Diamondbacks: Trevor Cahill has not pitched since the end of June and is in his first start back from the disabled list. He does not get an easy assignment as he has to go against Jeff Locke who has been solid all season for the Pirates.
  • The Yankees over the Red Sox: Okay, I might as well get all giddy with it. Hiroki Kuroda has been fantastic and is even better in day games (this is a four o'clock start for Fox). The split finger pitch has been David Ortiz's bugaboo for his career. The Yankees should hit John Lackey for a few runs.
  • The Cardinals over the Cubs: The Cardinals are really confusing right now. They either score ten or more runs and win or nothing and lose. The latter happened yesterday. So what will it be today? Joe Kelly versus Travis Wood.
  • The Orioles over the Rockies: Chad Bettis is making his fourth MLB start and he has not been bad. His ERA is inflated over his peripherals. Bud Norris was forced to pitch in relief the other day and took a loss. How will he do in his start? I keep waiting for the Orioles to explode.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: The Royals swept that double-header yesterday. Amazing. I am glad I at least predicted a split. And I do not feel great about this pick today either. It all depends on Doug Fister and how tight his game is. Wade Davis has been much better of late too.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: A very tough pick here. Andrew Albers has been great in his young career and is 2-0. Chris Sale, of course, is one of the best pitchers in the American League. If they match zeroes, who has the better bullpen? Or will it just be Sale with a score of like, 2-0?
  • The Reds over the Brewers: That certainly was a shocking end to the Reds' winning streak last night. I cannot see it carrying over until today. Mat Latos has been terrific and wins just about every start. Yovani Gallardo is usually tough at home, but this is his first game back from the DL.
  • The Giants over the Marlins: I called the high scoring game yesterday. I just didn't get the right team as the winner. This pick should be safe though. Matt Cain has not been a world beater this season, but he should succeed in Miami's big park. And I know Henderson Alvarez has been pitching well, but come on now.
  • The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: Poor Loup. How many extra inning games has he lost now? The Blue Jays fold so many times late in the day that it is impossible to pick them. J.A. Happ goes for them while I am not happy to have to pick Roberto Hernandez to win a game. Joy.
  • The Braves over the Nationals: If memory serves me correctly, Stephen Strasburg never seems to do well against the Braves. I should look it up, but I have not had enough coffee yet. What I do know for sure is that most of the time, his team does not score for him and won't against Mike Minor and that the Braves have no chance of folding this season.
  • The Rangers over the Mariners: The Rangers could do nothing with Iwakuma last night. Today they get Felix Hernandez. So why am I picking them to win? First, Martin Perez has been good lately, and second, just call it a hunch.
  • The Mets over the Padres: I just said that I have to believe more in the Mets, right? Besides, Jenrry Mejia has been pitching well and should like Petco Park and add to that the fact that Edinson Volquez has not had a good start since early July and has the numbers as the worst starter in baseball.
  • The Athletics over the Indians: When was the last time this year that Ubaldo Jimenez had a good game? I cannot remember either. I would much rather pick Dan Straily at home. That AL West thing is one of the best battles left in baseball.
  • The Angels over the Astros: The Astros have kicked Angel booty all season, but I go on blithely picking the Angels. Don't ask me why. Perhaps it is because I like Garrett Richards. Perhaps it is because of disbelief that a team with Mike Trout could lose so many games. I also cannot believe that Charlie Manuel got fired before Scioscia.  Oh yeah, Dallas Keuchel goes for the Astros.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Dodgers over the Phillies: Ryne Sandburg did not win his first game as an MLB manager. I doubt he wins his second either as the one-two punch of Greinke and Clayton Kershaw delivers the second hammer. Kyle Kendrick will try to keep it close.

Yesterday: 6-10
Week: 47-35
Month: 128-87
Season: 1031-800
Games of the Day: 78-54   -1

No comments: