Thursday, August 29, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Thursday: August 29, 2013

These game picks are laboring right into Labor Day Weekend. It was a struggle just to finish barely over the .500 mark. Of course, it did not help that some of the best pitchers in the league, Felix Hernandez, Hiroki Kuroda and Adam Wainwright all clanked yesterday and were hit hard. It also does not help that Kirk Gibson continues to place Heath Bell in meaningful situations. The Yankees have thrashed the Blue Jays all season, have many weapons back in their lineup and lost two of three in Toronto. Ah the life of a game picker. You cannot predict ball.

There are nine games on the Thursday schedule. Four of them are day games. And these are the picks:

  • The Tigers over the Athletics: Okay, so I have picked the Tigers for each of these games and have been wrong for each. But there is a stubborn streak in me. Bartolo Colon is coming off the disabled list. That could be good news for the A's. Or it could be bad news. Max Scherzer should be bad news for the A's. But then nothing about this series has been in the should category.
  • The Bay Rays over the Angels: At first, I thought that this was an easy Angels win as the Rays are starting Jake Odorizzi. But then I saw that the Angels were starting Jason Vargas. This will be a high scoring game with the Rays winning late.
  • The Royals over the Twins: I do not know what I was thinking picking the Twins yesterday. That was dumb. Really dumb. I will not be dumb today (which means that I probably will be). Sam Deduno is the only Twins pitcher with some life in his arm. But he might not be enough. Bruce Chen has lost two in a row though. So who knows.
  • The Mets over the Phillies: I will be honest. I have no idea which team is going to win this game. The Mets are starting Carlos Torres, a guy who has been in the bullpen for most of the season. The Phillies are starting Ethan Martin who has looked terrible at times and decent at times. I will go with the hometown Mets. But that is a poor reason and is all I have.
  • The Nationals over the Marlins: Remember when Gio Gonzalez was going to be one of the pieces that drove the Nats to the World Series? Yeah, that did not happen. But he still has enough talent to beat the Marlins. Tom Koehler has been pretty good though.
  • The Pirates over the Brewers: I hate to pick against Yovani Gallardo. He has been great since coming off the disabled list. But he is not at home and I think Gerrit Cole is going to shut down Gallardo's teammates. Marlon Byrd. Amazing.
  • The Braves over the Indians: I am not a big believer in either Ubaldo Jimenez or Kris Medlen this season. That said, I have to go with the Braves at home because I think they are the better team.
  • The Astros over the Mariners: Kyle Seager has been hot and hits better on the road. And I am not a fan of Jordan Lyles. But I am also not a fan of Erasmo Ramirez. The Astros have played with heart all season despite their record. I think they win here.

And the Game of the Day:

  • The Red Sox over the Orioles: You cannot stop these Red Sox. They are going to be hard pressed to beat before they get to the World Series. Jon Lester is peaking at a good time. The team is hitting well. Chris Tillman will not be able to stop them.

Yesterday: 8-7
Week: 30-25
Month: 211-165
Season: 1120-878
Games of the Day: 85-59   -1

No comments: