Wednesday, October 02, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: October 2, 2013

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Pirates for taking care of the Reds in the play-in game to earn the right to play in the NLDS. I picked the game incorrectly as I thought Johnny Cueto would have more to offer than what he did. But I could not be happier for the city of Pittsburgh for ending their long drought. Of course, it was kind of wistful watching Russell Martin perform so well in that game. For as long as I breathe, I will never understand how the Yankees could have let him walk.

Tonight we get the second Wild Card Game with the Indians playing at home against the Tampa Bay Rays. And frankly, the pick is really throwing me. As we saw from the Pirates' game, the home crowd can really make a difference. That Cueto chant was the most amazing thing, wasn't it? And the Indians got to the post season by beating a bunch of bad teams. Can they do it against a good team?

The pick:
  • The Rays over the Indians: I would love to see the Indians win and move on. A Terry Francona versus the Red Sox series would be just about as awesome as it gets. But my sticking point is Alex Cobb. Cobb has been soooo good in these situations. How about these numbers down the stretch in his last three games: 23.1 innings, 14 hits, 3 runs, 5 walks, 26 strikeouts. Uh. Yeah. That will work. The Indians, meanwhile, have to hope that this young kid, Danny Salazar, can make magic happen in the biggest situation of his life. I will be honest, I hate the Rays. In fact, I cannot stand them. And I would love to see the Indians move forward. But picks are based on logic in an illogical game. I cannot see Cobb and the Rays losing. But then again, I was wrong yesterday...

Yesterday: 0-1
October: 0-1
Post Season: 1-1
Season: 1375-1069

No comments: