Monday, March 31, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Monday: March 31, 2014

Brian Wilson and his famous beard lost face with me last night as he blew my pick of the Dodgers to win the game. Hyun-jin Ryu had the Padres shut down and Wilson coughed it up. Oh well. It is a long season.
Today is the kind of Opening Day we have been longing for, but it is still incomplete as only 24 of the 30 teams will be in action. But let me pick what I have and save another Bud Selig diatribe for another day.
The picks
  • The Pirates over the Cubs: I am a little worried picking Francisco Liriano because he missed most of Spring Training. But the Pirates have a good enough bullpen to finish what he starts. Jeff Samardzija starts for the Cubs.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: How will James Shields react this year in a contract season? I would be he will be quite aggressive. But Justin Verlander has been great again this spring and is hard to pick against. I do feel a Joba Chamberlain implosion coming though.
  • The Nationals over the MetsDillon Gee is tough at home, but the pick has to be Stephen Strasburg, no?
  • The Phillies over the Rangers: Did you ever think you'd see the day when Tanner Scheppers would be the Opening Day pitcher for anyone? That is the kind of spring the Rangers have had. I'm going with Cliff Lee though the game is in Texas.
  • The Brewers over the Braves: While I think that the Brewers might be a bit short on offense, Yovani Gallardo is always a threat at home. Julio Teheran is very good, but the pick is the Brewers.
  • The Orioles over the Red Sox: I like the Orioles at home. Chris Tillman has to hold down a big lineup, but so does Jon Lester. And so it begins in the AL East!
  • The White Sox over the TwinsChris Sale looked sort of human during the spring, but it is tough to pitch in Arizona. Look for him to have a good day at home. Ricky Nolasco will be up and down all season.
  • The Cardinals over the Reds: I have no idea what kind of team the Reds will have this year. And Johnny Cueto has beaten the Cards before. But I know what kind of team the Cards are and Adam Wainwright should do his thing.
  • The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: The battle of the ays starts early this year! David Price at home? Yeah. R.A. Dickey? No, not thinking that will stop the Rays.
  • The Marlins over the RockiesJose Fernandez at home? Yes, please. He was untouchable at home last season. The Rockies go with Jorge De La Rosa, four names for the price of two.
  • The Giants over the Diamondbacks: The Giants are another team that I cannot get a read on. I guess it depends on their pitching. I do know that I like Madison Bumgarner over Brandon McCarthy.
  • The Athletics over the IndiansSonny Gray was my guy all of last season. Whenever I picked him, he won. Let's see if it will carry over to this year. Justin Masterson goes for the Indians.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Angels over the Mariners: Jered Weaver goes for the Angels and the Angels are my pick for the surprise team of 2014, so the money has to go where the mouth is. Of course, Felix Hernandez will have something to say about that.
Yesterday: 0-1
Season : 2-1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE to see these posts again. Hooray, OPENING DAY!