Monday, April 21, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Monday: April 21, 2014

Sunday was my second straight 9-6 day. There were three or four picks that were correct for seven innings. But we do not play seven innings, thank goodness, we play nine. And may that never change, Mr. Anonymous Buster Olney source.

My son, who reads these missives every day asked me politely never to pick the Yankees to win because doing so guarantees them a loss. Oh the power that I have here! I have had the same request from Cardinal fans in the past. Heh.

There are thirteen games on the schedule today which is not bad. And today is Patriots Day in Massachusetts and Maine and that means the Red Sox play in the morning. Here are the picks:
  • The Red Sox over the Orioles: Much of this pick will depend on how good Clay Buchholz is today. The Red Sox will score a few off of Wei-Yin Chen, but Buchholz has to hold the Orioles to less.
  • The Angels over the Nationals: I like Garrett Richards in this one over Tanner Roark. How did we get two "Tanners" in baseball? It's not like anyone in this country tans leather anymore. That is all done overseas now. I used to work in a tannery. I bet you didn't know that...or care.
  • The Pirates over the Reds: I am a little concerned so far with Francisco Liriano, but if he is on, the Pirates are not going to hit him. Mike Leake can be had though. Neal Walker is off to a great start, but Andrew McCutchen is scuffling.
  • The Indians over the Royals: The Indians came alive a bit over the weekend with a couple of comeback wins. I like Zach McAllister over Jeremy Guthrie.
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: This pick was wrong yesterday by fourteen runs. I have had a fourteen-run bad pick and a fifteen-run bad pick in the last two days. But I still like Anibal Sanchez over John Danks.
  • The Braves over the Marlins: The Marlins are raising cane at home, but not so much on the road. Tom Koehler will be somewhat stingy, but Julio Teheran is just too good for the Braves.
  • The Cardinals over the Mets: I don't know how good Tyler Lyons will be. I am not expecting much, put it that way. And Jenrry Mejia is very good. So why am I picking the Cardinals? Because they are a much better team.
  • The Cubs over the Diamondbacks: This will be a true test of how bad the Diamondbacks are. If they cannot beat the Cubs, they are really that bad. I would take Travis Wood over Bronson Arroyo.
  • The Brewers over the Padres: It looks like we are going to have to believe in the Brewers as they are not sinking at all. Wily Peralta goes for them and Andrew Cashner goes for the Padres. This is a good pitching match-up.
  • The Rockies over the Giants: This is one of those games where Coors will make the difference for the Rockies. I have no expectation that Ryan Vogelsong can pitch well there whereas Jorge De La Rosa at least has a chance to be decent today.
  • The Rangers over the Athletics: Most of my gut tells me to pick the A's. But if Yu Darvish is on, forget about it for the A's. Dan Straily is not nearly as good as Darvish. In other words, I haven't a clue.
  • The Phillies over the Dodgers: Cliff Lee has to get some run support sooner or later. And he is much better than Paul Maholm. The only troubling aspect here is that the Dodgers are not bothered much by left-handed pitchers.
And the Game of the Day!
  • The Mariners over the Astros: There is clear separation between these two teams this year and Felix Hernandez is on the mound. That's all I need to know. It does not even matter what Dallas Keuchel does.
Yesterday: 9-6, Games of the Day: 9-8, Season: 159-117

No comments: