Friday, May 09, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Friday: May 9, 2014

I can at least say I had one good day this week. And, no, Thursday was not that day as I again fell into negative territory. There were two extra-inning games and both went the opposite way of the picks. I am keeping track of those because they irk me. In the last eight extra-inning games, I am 1-7 with the outcomes. That hurts the bottom line a lot.

Houston destroyed the Tigers. George Springer hit his first homer. Drew Smyly wasn't smyling. The Orioles beat the Rays again and David Price. I didn't see that coming. My biggest mistake was letting my heart get in the way by picking the White Sox. Alas, Scott Carroll was hammered. 

Maybe Friday will be better. The picks:
  • The Orioles over the Astros: It's not that I am very high on Wei-Yin Chen. Rather, I am always leery of picking a pitcher coming back from the disabled list like Scott Feldman. The Orioles will be very familiar with their former pitcher.
  • The Pirates over the Cardinals: The Cardinals have had trouble with lefties which extends back to last year. Francisco Liriano has taken advantage of that before. However, if Michael Wacha can hang with Liriano, then I like the Cards' bullpen better.
  • The Blue Jays over the Angels: The Blue Jays are pounding the baseball right now and I think that will cancel out the strong arm of Garrett Richards. Dustin McGowan will pitch well enough to win the game.
  • The Tigers over the Twins: Phil Hughes has looked good lately. But I cannot imagine him doing well against the Tigers. And even if he has another good night, Justin Verlander will be better.
  • The Indians over the Rays: The Rays are struggling and need to get some pitching back. Jake Odorizzi just doesn't seem like a rotation guy to me. Corey Kluber should have a good night though.
  • The Reds over the Rockies: If anyone can stop a hitting streak, it is Johnny Cueto. So that is what I expect to happen. And even if he is not on top of his game, the Reds are going to score against Jhoulys Chacin.
  • The Mets over the Phillies: The Phillies have had a really bad week. They were smoked by the Blue Jays and after being over .500, have sunk more than a couple of games under that mark now. I like Jenrry Mejia to match up well here and for Roberto Hernandez to not be as good as his last outing.
  • The Braves over the Cubs: The Cubs did well against the White Sox, but will face much better pitching in Atlanta. It starts tonight with Julio Teheran. Jason Hammel is having a good season though.
  • The Rangers over the Red Sox: I never feel comfortable picking Yu Darvish. But when I don't, he wins. I don't expect Clay Buchholz to do well in Texas.
  • The Diamondbacks over the White Sox: The White Sox really miss Adam Eaton and they have been kind of dead since he went on the DL. Andre Rienzo is not dependable to me. Brandon McCarthy is not having much fun this season either.
  • The Brewers over the Yankees: Wow, this is a tough one. Yovani Gallardo is always tough at home. And the Yankees have never seen him. But the Yankees are pitching Masahiro Tanaka, so what do you do there? The Yankees lose the DH, and that hurts them. I'm going with a bullpen win for the Brewers.
  • The Nationals over the Athletics: I just said earlier that I don't like picking pitchers coming off the DL and here I am picking Doug Fister. Yeah, probably dumb, but I just don't like picking Tommy Milone and I like the Nats getting an extra bat in the lineup.
  • The Royals over the Mariners: Brandon Maurer pitched well his last time out, but I think that was a BABIP win. He won't be as good tonight. And I think Jason Vargas will be better.
  • The Giants over the Dodgers: The Giants are amazing. This every other year thing is amazing. How can you pick against them? Especially with Madison Bumgarner on the mound? And especially with Paul Maholm pitching for the Dodgers.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Marlins over the Padres: Gosh, the Marlins are on fire...even now on the road. I don't like Jose Fernandez as much on the road, but against a weak-hitting team like the Padres? Yeah, that's an easy call. Tyson Ross has been up and down.
Yesterday: 4-5, May: 59-50, Games of the Day: 16-19, Season: 292-225

No comments: