Monday, May 19, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Monday: May 19, 2014

That's much better. After two weeks of mediocrity, the picks went 12-4 yesterday. I called both games of the Yankees - Pirates double-header correctly. The Tigers completed their white-washing of the Red Sox. I did think the Rays would win behind David Price, but that was wrong. I thought the Dodgers would win behind Dan Haren and that was wrong. But I did call the Cubs over the Brewers and the Astros over the White Sox and those all came in. It was a good day.

I don't get to roll in my success today though because there are only five games on the schedule. Here they are:
  • The Nationals over the Reds: The Reds are struggling offensively without Joey Votto and Stephen Strasburg should be the beneficiary. But even if Strasburg is not on the top of his game, the Nats should hit Mike Leake fairly well to win anyway.
  • The Indians over the Tigers: This game is a trap. The Tigers are on a roll with several wins in a row and the Indians just came off a dreadful series against the A's. So the natural pick is the Tigers. But Corey Kluber is perhaps the Indians' best pitcher and Drew Smyly, The Emoticon, is the weakest link in the Tigers' rotation.
  • The Braves over the Brewers: Both teams are struggling offensively. Both teams are scuffling period. But Mike Minor was very good in his last start and Wily Peralta is better picked when home.
  • The Royals over the White Sox: The White Sox are really downtrodden right now. I still believe they have the wrong manager. But that's just me. Scott Carroll started his Big League career with two fine starts, but since has allowed 22 hits in his last nine innings. Jason Vargas should win this one.
  • The Angels over the Astros: It scares me that I picked five games and all five picks were the home team. Hmm... But seriously, shouldn't Garrett Richards beat Dallas Keuchel even if Keuchel has pitched pretty well of late? Yeah, that's what I think too.
Yesterday: 12-4, May: 137-113, Games of the Day: 22-23, Season: 370-285

2 comments:

forged said...

Not picking a Game of the Day today?

William J. Tasker said...

Not with just five games...