Sunday, May 25, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: May 25, 2014

I can sympathize with the Boston Red Sox right now because I too can do nothing correct right now when it comes to picking games. Saturday was the second bad day in a row. But I supposed that I have seven days in a row before I reach the Beantowner's territory.
Sunday's picks:
  • The Athletics over the Blue Jays: I know. I know. The Blue Jays are the hottest team anywhere. But J.A. Happ winning again? I cannot see it. I will go with Drew Pomeranz instead. This could be a high scoring game.
  • The Tigers over the Rangers: The Rangers are playing better and Colby Lewis has been surprisingly good. I still can't pick against Justin Verlander at home. Even if his mind is on some certain swimsuit model.
  • The Diamondbacks over the MetsBronson Arroyo in a big ballpark can be pretty decent. And there aren't many Met players who can hit dingers. Besides, I am not impressed with Rafael Montero.
  • The Brewers over the MarlinsJimmy Nelson is a nice looking prospect. He has good numbers in the minors and hasn't looked scared at all in his first few cup of coffee appearances in the Majors. Randy Wolf is making his first start for the Marlins. This should be interesting.
  • The Mets over the DiamondbacksDaisuke Matsuzaka believe it or not, is a better pick than Zeke Spruill who is not stretched out to start at all. The D-backs are going into this double-header and will need every relief pitcher they own to get by.
  • The Indians over the OriolesTrevor Bauer just might have finally reached his hype all these years later. He is rocking. Miguel Gonzalez is who he is...a decent pitcher who win a game now and then.
  • The Dodgers over the Phillies: Two old warhorse pitchers in A.J. Burnett and Josh Beckett. The winner of the game will depend on which one has the better day. It's a tossup.
  • The Pirates over the Nationals: I give up on the Nationals. They had the game yesterday and still found a way to blow it. Francisco Liriano over Doug Fister.
  • The Rays over the Red Sox: The losing streak has to end some time. The law of the universe says that. But when? That is the hard thing about picking games. When? Brandon Workman has a chance to throw a good game. Or not. Jake Odorizzi isn't that great. Or not. I don't know.
  • The Yankees over the White SoxAndre Rienzo has a record of 4-0. The Yankees have lost to a lot less of a pitcher than this. A bounce back game from Masahiro Tanaka is more likely.
  • The Angels over the Royals: This pick was wrong yesterday because of a weak bullpen by the Angels. But I like Garrett Richards over Jason Vargas.
  • The Giants over the Twins: Doesn't Nolasco sound like a hot sauce or something? Ricky Nolasco has been decent for the Twins, but I don't see them hitting Madison Bumgarner at all, especially at home.
  • The Cubs over the PadresJason Hammel has surprised me all season. Perhaps he is this good and I've been stupid. Ya think? I will take him today over Ian Kennedy.
  • The Braves over the RockiesJulio Teheran is really good most of the time. Franklin Morales is really good about twice out of ten games. This should be a Braves' win, but that doesn't mean it will be.
  • The Cardinals over the Reds: The Reds just don't have enough horses right now. Mike Leake will keep them in the game, but Adam Wainwright will be booed unmercifully but still win in Cincinnati.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Mariners over the AstrosHisashi Iwakuma makes the third Japanese starter going today. I wonder if that is a record? Anyway, Iwakuma is nearly unbeatable at home even if Dallas Keuchel is much better than I keep thinking he is.
Yesterday: 6-9, May: 173-153, Games of the Day: 25-25, Season: 406-325

No comments: