Wednesday, June 11, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: June 11, 2014

The good news is that the Game of the Day feature finally went over the .500 mark as Adam Wainwright and the Cardinals shut out the Rays (again). However, just about everything else was wrong in one of the worst final tallies in Game Picks history. It was brutal, awful, terrible, shocking. I am dumbfounded and a bit embarrassed to be honest. It was bad.
But, I am getting back up on the horse and riding again. Actually, I've only been on a horse once in my life and I couldn't get it to go anywhere. But here are Wednesday's picks:
  • The Blue Jays over the Twins: The Blue Jays have suddenly hit a hole in their march for the AL East and have lost several games in the last week.  Phil Hughes has pitched well for the Twins, but I see two Jays' homers in his future. Marcus Stroman has been very good.
  • The Royals over the IndiansYordano Ventura will never become Ace Ventura until he can string good appearances consistently instead of good, bad, good, bad. I think he'll be good tonight at home and be better than Trevor Bauer.
  • The Orioles over the Red Sox: I am upset that Manny Machado appealed his suspension. That doesn't show a whole lot of remorse there. But I like Wei-Yin Chen's chances better than Rubby De La Rosa to shut down the offense.
  • The Pirates over the Cubs: It was nice that the Pirates finally brought up their great prospect and he helped. But unless they get better pitching, it won't matter. But I'm still going with Brandon Cumpton over Jason Hammel.
  • The Phillies over the Padres: I got this one wrong yesterday. What didn't I get wrong yesterday? I am taking Cole Hamels over Tyson Ross. I'd vote for Tyson, but I'm chicken. Ha! Get it?
  • The Dodgers over the Reds: The last time I picked against Hyun-jin Ryu, he made me look silly. The last time I did pick Johnny Cueto, he had a bad night. Both are capable of shutting the other team down. But which one will do so? This was a coin toss.
  • The Mets over the Brewers: I just picked up Jacob deGrom on my fantasy team, so I am not being real objective in this pick. He's been pitching great with no run support. Wily Peralta has been uneven.
  • The Cardinals over the Bay Rays: It is impossible for the Cardinals to keep pitching shutouts and for the Rays to keep getting shut out. But until either streak stops, I have to keep with the narrative. Michael Wacha over Erik Bedard.
  • The Rangers over the Marlins: This was another pick that went south yesterday. But I can't pick against Yu Darvish making the Marlins look silly. Jacob Turner goes for the Fish.
  • The Astros over the DiamondbacksDallas Keuchel is 7-3. Can you believe that? I can't. But that is the numbers in front of me. Meanwhile, Brandon McCarthy has given up a bunch of runs in his last three outings and is 1-8. What would you do?
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: This is the same match-up that was supposed to happen yesterday but got rained out. Justin Verlander over John Danks.
  • The Angels over the Athletics: This series has been fun and the Angels are making a statement. Now Jered Weaver has to avoid the long ball and do his thing to keep it going. Tommy Milone goes for the A's.
  • The Yankees over the MarinersChris Young has been phenomenal at home. But Masahiro Tanaka has been phenomenal everywhere. The Yankees will need to score a few runs though.
  • The Giants over the Nationals: The Nats got the best of the pitchers' duel yesterday and won, 2-1. Today could be a similar score as Tanner Roark and Matt Cain have looked good recently. I'm going with the home team.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Braves over the Rockies: This should be interesting. The Braves are not a patient team and are tenth in the NL in walks and face the MLB debut of Tyler Matzek, a former eleventh overall pick for the Rockies who has shown nothing but control problems in the minors. I'm going with Julio Teheran regardless.
Yesterday: 4-10 (ouch), June: 71-66, Games of the Day: 34-33, Season: 524-444

No comments: