Tuesday, July 22, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: July 22, 2014

All I could muster was a 6-6 record yesterday as there were several surprises for me. The Orioles beat the red-hot Angels and kept both Pujols and Trout off base. The Yankees played one of their top ten worst games all time and made a really struggling pitcher look good in the process (as usual). The Twins beat Cleveland, which I did not expect. And what was I thinking to pick the Rockies to win!? It was only late West Coast games that saved me as I was 4-6 before they finished out with expected results.
Tuesday should be a better day. We are back to a full schedule and that suits me just fine. Then again, it is a beautiful day in what has been a gorgeous July here in Maine, so nothing really is throwing me much for a loop.
Tuesday's picks:
  • The Dodgers over the Pirates: I picked the Pirates yesterday and paid for it. I hate to feel that this is a reaction pick. Sometimes it feels that way. Josh Beckett has already beaten the Pirates this year and Vance Worley doesn't exactly do it for me. So maybe it is not a reaction pick.       But maybe it is.
  • The Giants over the Phillies: Just about every time I have scoffed at a team starting a guy who has spent most of the year in the bullpen, I lose the pick as the reliever pitches quite well in his start. So this IS a reaction pick as Yusmeiro Petit is coming out of the bullpen to start this one. Roberto Hernandez goes for the Phillies.
  • The Yankees over the Rangers: As mediocre as the Yankees are especially with Mark Teixeira sitting and with Chase Whitley pitching, I cannot pick Nick Martinez to win a game. But then again, the Yankees can make him look like Chris Sale and make five more errors. Who knows.
  • The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: The Red Sox sure went boom yesterday and scored more than a baker's dozen runs. But first, Jake Peavy never gets that kind of run support and second, J.A. Happ has been throwing pretty well. I would feel better if Edwin Encarnacion wasn't still out.
  • The Braves over the Marlins: The Braves are terribly inconsistent on offense. And Mike Minor has not had a good year for them at all. But Jacob Turner has really not been good either and I should think the Braves would out-slug the Marlins in this one.
  • The Padres over the Cubs: What a blah game. Kyle Hendricks pitched decently in his first start at the small little Great American Ballpark. And Eric Stults has lost eleven games. But Stults has been better of late and I don't like the Cubs against lefties.
  • The Reds over the Brewers: The Reds have to win after the All Star Break some time. Tonight's as good a time as any. Jimmy Nelson has started two games for the Brewers. One was great, the second was awful. I have no idea how the third will go. But I like Homer Bailey.
  • The Indians over the Twins: I like and root for Yohan Pino because of how long it took him to get to the Majors and he has pitched well for the Twins. But I'm thinking that Danny Salazar is back from the minors and won't want to go back. He will be dynamic today.
  • The White Sox over the Royals: I think I secretly hope that the Royals lose every game the rest of the year so they will make the changes they need to make that are so long overdue. Adam Eaton has been hot for the White Sox who have a decent offense now. Bruce Chen's shtick works better at home than on the road and Scott Carroll has been pitching well.
  • The Cardinals over the Rays: Interesting series as the Rays have been red hot facing a team that needs to get it together. If the Rays beat Adam Wainwright, I'll know they are for real again. Jake Odorizzi goes for them and I don't think he'll keep up.
  • The Nationals over the Rockies: I won't make the same mistake two days in a row. I am worried about Jordan Zimmermann's health here, but the Nats are going with him, so I will try to relax. Yohan Flande has given up a lot of runs in his three starts.
  • The Tigers over the DiamondbacksChase Anderson is having a nice season and he should always win pitching in a stadium called, "Chase Field." But I don't think the D-backs will solve Rick Porcello and score enough to support Anderson.
  • The Angels over the Orioles: The Orioles picked up a game on both rivals in the AL East yesterday. But Miguel Gonzalez is their weakest pitcher and that isn't good against a team like the Angels. I sure wish MLB.com would get rid of that duck-lipped picture of Hector Santiago on his player page. It drives me crazy.
  • The Mets over the Mariners: This is my upset pick of the day. I really like Jacob deGrom, partly because he has a cool name. Besides, Erasmo Ramirez is never very good for long.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Athletics over the Astros: The A's have pretty much won their division already. Do they coast? I doubt it. Scott Kazmir has been awesome. Brett Oberholtzer? Not so much.
Yesterday: 6-6, July: 140-104, Games of the Day: 58-45, Season: 823-679

2 comments:

forged said...

The A's have a 2 game lead with over 60 games to go over the second best team (Angels) in the Majors at the moment.

They can't afford to take the division for granted at the moment.

William J. Tasker said...

Well...I agree. But they also have the softest schedule heading home than any other team. I did pick the Angels to win the division in the pre-season.