Sunday, August 03, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: August 3, 2014

The picks are still stuck in Mediocre-ville, but at least they were a game over .500 instead of a game under like the previous three days. I can't seem to get anything going lately. The picks have started to resemble Tiger Woods' golf game. Oof. That wasn't very nice. Things would have been a little nicer looking if Robin Ventura had not left Scott Carroll on the mound for one inning too long and if his bullpen did not totally blow chunks. But, oh well.
Sunday's picks:
  • The Rangers over the Indians: The Rangers have been so bad. As bad as they are, you have to give Yu Darvish the benefit of the doubt whenever he pitches. While it is never a guaranteed win, it's a good pick. Trevor Bauer goes for the Indians.
  • The Tigers over the RockiesAnibal Sanchez has thrown stinkers in four of his last five starts and has never been a second half beast. The Rockies, however, are not a good team and are worse outside of Coors. That said, Jorge De La Rosa is one of their better starters.
  • The Reds over the Marlins: Thanks to someone I know, I am self-conscious of these pick now. I know the Marlins are a good team. And I know they excel at home. But I use as much logic here as possible. Mike Leake is a better pitcher than Jacob Turner. That's the gist of it. The Reds' offense is the only concern of this pick.
  • The Giants over the Mets: Questioning Bartolo Colon is pretty stupid these days. He will have his clunkers, but more often is very good. The difference here is that so is Madison Bumgarner. I just don't see the Mets doing much against him.
  • The Nationals over the PhilliesCole Hamels is on fire. Stephen Strasburg is questioning his own team's offense. Hey, bud, don't give up runs and you win. Perhaps he won't today and harness is prodigious talent.
  • The Orioles over the Mariners: Does Chris Tillman pitch ever third day? It sure seems like he does. While I do not think he is as good as Hisashi Iwakuma, the Orioles will find a way to win the game.
  • The Rays over the AngelsJake Odorizzi has won his last three starts and four of his last five. Did you know he has more strikeouts than innings pitched this season? Jered Weaver just doesn't do it for me any more.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: I always pick against Kyle Gibson because he doesn't strike anyone out and relies on the ball being hit at people to win. But I am wrong at least half the time. Jose Quintana, on the other hand, has been great all season with great stuff and cannot get ANY support from his team. I like lefties against the Twins.
  • The Blue Jays over the Astros: This pick has blown up on me all weekend. But I think I got it this time with Marcus Stroman. I can't believe I dropped him from my fantasy team. What a dope I am. Scott Feldman goes for the Astros.
  • The Cardinals over the Brewers: I have no idea what to expect from John Lackey for the Cardinals. It will seem so weird. And you never know what to expect from Matt Garza either. Oh well, one of them has to win.
  • The Athletics over the Royals: I guess the A's answered my questions about their offense without Cespedes with the blowout win yesterday. James Shields may have a big day. I'd rather go with Scott Kazmir. Wo-oh Wo-oh.
  • The Padres over the Braves: The Braves have fallen and cannot get up. They should have never gotten rid of Dan Uggla. Heh. I am going with Tyson Ross over Aaron Harang. It will be low scoring.
  • The Dodgers over the CubsJosh Beckett over Edwin Jackson. That is all there is to say.
  • The Yankees over the Red Sox: I haven't gotten one game of this series correctly yet. If the good Clay Buchholz turns up, I'll look stupid. If the one most often seen this season turns up, then I'm good. David Phelps will keep his team in the game.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Pirates over the DiamondbacksKirk Gibson has got to go. It's plain and simple. His tactics and his macho crap just reek. Sorry D-Backs fans. That's how I feel. Francisco Liriano over Trevor Cahill.
Yesterday: 8-7, August: 15-15, Games of the Day: 65-50, Season: 909-762

No comments: