Thursday, August 21, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Thursday: August 21, 2014

Wednesday was another positive day. I seem to be in a nice groove lately with only the occasional misadventure. I was surprised that the Rangers won, but not particularly surprised the Yankees lost. I was wrong big time on Rick Porcello. And I think Eric Stults is just playing with me.
Picking the Rockies to win was quite good as was picking Cole Hamels to beat the Mariners. So, yeah, things have been pretty groovy.
Teams seem to be getting more days off lately. Oh! Before I forget, one of my correct picks from the other day is in jeopardy now that MLB has upheld the Giants' protest of the rain shortened game with the Cubs the other day. That game will be resumed today with the Cubs holding a 2-0 lead. If the Giants come back and win the game, then I'll lose a win and gain a loss.
Thursday's picks:
  • The Yankees over the Astros: I beyond the point of no return now. Like some kind of mad scientist, I keep picking the Yankees while they keep losing. Sooner or later it has to be correct. Brandon McCarthy over Dallas Keuchel.
  • The Indians over the TwinsPhil Hughes has been terrific. But he goes up against Corey Kluber. If the starting pitchers even each other out, you go with the better offense. The better offense here is Cleveland.
  • The Tigers over the Rays: Wow, this game is going to be packed with emotion and energy. David Price comes back to his old team as a Tiger. The very hot Alex Cobb faces him. Which will be more stoked? Which will win? Do you have a coin I can toss?
  • The Nationals over the Diamondbacks: The Nats are going for ten in a row today. If it was eleven, I might consider not picking them. But ten seems to be this year's number for winning and losing streaks. Gio Gonzalez over Wade Miley.
  • The Angels over the Red Sox: I have to keep going with what has been working and I have picked the Angels this whole series. Matt Shoemaker has been the sole of this team. Oh, sorry about that. How about: Matt Shoemaker will lace them up against...No? Uhh...How about that he will just win over Rubby De La Rosa. Sorry those jokes Rubbyed you the wrong way.
  • The Braves over the Reds: Sometimes team decisions just make you shake your head. For example, David Holmberg is starting for the Reds. I get that he is a second round draft choice (2009). But he has made two MLB starts and has been awful. Well, maybe he was pitching well in the minors? Uh, no. He is 1-6 there with a high ERA and a WHIP of 1.600. I don't get it. Julio Teheran with the win.
  • The Dodgers over the PadresClayton Kershaw showed a little humanity in his last outing. But he's still a stud. Tyson Ross is good. But not as good as Kershaw.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Giants over the Cubs: After the teams finish the disputed game, they play their regularly scheduled one and I like the match-up of Madison Bumgarner against Travis Wood.
Yesterday: 9-6, August: 158-115, Games of the Day: 77-55 (+4), Season: 1052-864

No comments: