Sunday, September 14, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: September 14, 2014

Yesterday I was complaining because of having two great days but having the Game of the Day feature come up empty. I should have kept my mouth shut. I got the Game of the Day feature correct (the Cardinals hung on to win) but had a crappy day overall. I think the great day / bad Game of the Day is preferable.
How about Mike Trout with two big flies? How about Zack Greinke with a double an a homer? Tim Hudson and Tim Lincecum have both had great success pitching in the Major Leagues. The Dodgers destroyed them both. Hudson's string of winning seasons is surely going to be ended now.
I didn't think the Twins could lose another double-header. I was wrong. King Felix was not clutch as he gave up the game-tying homer to Josh Donaldson and the A's eventually won a game the Mariners had to have. I have no idea what Fernando Rodney was doing in the tenth, but needless to say, he did not shoot any arrows. The Yankees did their patented "score-early-and-then-die" offense but still hung on two win. That bullpen is terrific. The Blue Jays beat the Rays in the battle of the Ays. I got all those games wrong.
Here we go, Sunday, treat me right:
  • The Blue Jays over the Rays: This is a scary pick because you never know with Mark Buehrle. But he has been on one of his good streaks again and Chris Archer has not been as effective in the last month or so. The Blue Jays at home.
  • The Tigers over the IndiansJustin Verlander is no longer an ace. But he can still be good enough to beat the Indians at home. Trevor Bauer simply doesn't do much for me at any time--even less today.
  • The Nationals over the Mets: Again, I like Jon Niese. I like him a lot. The Nationals are just too hot at the plate right now and Jordan Zimmermann really shouldn't have any trouble with the Mets' lineup.
  • The Pirates over the Cubs: This pick did not work out yesterday, which was a huge shock to me. Edinson Volquez needs to come up big. Jacob Turner is starting to turn it around for the Cubs. Scary pick.
  • The Marlins over the Phillies: This is another pick that did not work out yesterday. It is another pitching match-up that makes me go this way. Tom Koehler is a better pick than David Buchanan. The Marlins' offense is pretty dead without Stanton though.
  • The Red Sox over the Royals: I just like Joe Kelly. Is that okay? Jason Vargas would not survive the Boston lineup in the past, but this is a different Boston lineup. In other words, it's not any good. But I'm still going with Joe Kelly.
  • The Reds over the Brewers: I will admit that I have no idea which team will win this game. Mike Leake is so unpredictable and Matt Garza can look so ugly at times that I have no idea. None.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: Who would have ever thought three months ago that I would be picking Hector Noesi to win a game? How strange is baseball. But there it is. I like him over Trevor May.
  • The Cardinals over the Rockies: I have no delusions of Marco Gonzalez pitching great for the Cardinals. The pick is based on the belief that the Cardinals will score eight runs on Jordan Lyles and company.
  • The Rangers over the Braves: The Braves are terrible now. They simply don't win very often. I don't know, frankly, how they have won 75 games. Colby Lewis over Mike Minor. Of course, I said all that and the Braves will win...
  • The Angels over the Astros: I think it is going to be the Orioles and the Angels in the ALCS and that's going to be a great series. The Angels just don't lose these days no matter if Hector Santiago or anyone else is pitching. Dallas Keuchel will try to stop the streak. Good luck, young man.
  • The Dodgers over the Giants: After scoring 17 runs yesterday, I'm not sure the Dodgers are all tuckered out or not. I do know that Yusmeiro Petit might give the Dodgers problems. But would you ever pick against Clayton Kershaw? No, me neither.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: If I keep picking the Padres, they have to win sooner or later, right? I'm not thrilled with picking Odrisamer Despaigne in Arizona's hot air, but Trevor Cahill is even more of an uncomfortable pick.
  • The Orioles over the Yankees: I hate Sunday night games. They are un-American, especially when the game doesn't even start until an hour after the two teams usually start night games. Chris Tillman over Hiroki Kuroda.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Athletics over the Mariners: The Mariners had their chance yesterday and didn't get it done. Both teams are still challenged offensively. But you have to go with Jon Lester over Chris Young in this one. Young was a nice story for most of the year, but if you pin your playoff hopes on him, I don't know...
Yesterday: 7-9, Sept.: 105-74, Games of the Day: 93-63 (+1), Season: 1235-1008

No comments: