Thursday, September 25, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Thursday: September 25, 2014

At one point during last night, the picks were sitting at 3-7 and I was thinking, "Uhhh...." and then (thankfully) all the rest of the games went the picks' way and I finished dead even at 7-7 with one cancellation. Normally, I wouldn't be happy with such a record, but considering where the day was, I'll take it.
So what if the last game of Derek Jeter's career at home in Yankee Stadium is rained out today? That will bite. The game won't be made up either as it would not affect the outcome of anything. The weather isn't looking good.
But let's look at that game and the rest of the picks today:
  • The Brewers over the Reds: I picked against Lohse last night and regretted it. If I pick against Yovani Gallardo today, I know I'll regret it too. The Brewers are the better team, but both teams have nothing to play for. David Holmberg goes for the Reds.
  • The Nationals over the Mets: The two teams will play two today to make up for the rain out yesterday. But it does change the pitching lines. I'll take Blake Treinen in the first game. The kid looks impressive. Dillon Gee goes for the Mets.
  • The Mets over the NationalsZack Wheeler will probably face a lineup of irregulars. So that influences the pick. Gio Gonzalez will audition for the playoffs though and he will want to do well.
  • The Blue Jays over the Mariners: The M's sure blew it for the wild card. I mean, they were right there. Starting relief pitchers like Tom Wilhelmsen is certainly confusing. Daniel Norris had a big year in the minors. A lefty, Norris has a big arm and some control problems.
  • The Marlins over the Phillies: This pick did not work out yesterday. That darned Kendrick did it to me again. I still like Tom Koehler over David Buchanan.
  • The Yankees over the Orioles: If the game is played, the Yankees have to win on Derek Jeter's last day in New York, right? Any other outcome is unacceptable. If the game is cancelled, the Yankees will have to refund all those tickets. Hiroki Kuroda could be making his last start for the Yankees. Kevin Gausman goes for the Orioles. If I were the O's, I would rest the kid for the playoffs.
  • The Tigers over the Twins: The Tigers still need to clinch the division. Max Scherzer will get the job done. Trevor May or may not have a good game. Ha! I kill me.
  • The Red Sox over the Rays: My favorite prospect, Garin Cecchini, hit his first Big League home yesterday and I want him to go five for five tonight. I want him at third base for the Red Sox. Make it happen. Love this kid. Oh, the game. Allen Webster over Jeremy Hellickson.
  • The Rangers over the Athletics: The A's can pretty much coast as everyone else gave them the wild card by default. But it's not like they have earned it. And they won't clinch it today. Colby Lewis over Jason Hammel.
  • The Royals over the White Sox: Big Game James Shields really makes his living against so-so teams, not the really big games. He should beat Jose Quintana because as good as Quintana is, he just doesn't catch any breaks.
  • The Giants over the Padres: The wild card is your consolation prize, Giants. Enjoy it. Yusmeiro Petit over Andrew Cashner.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Pirates over the Braves: The Braves won yesterday, which threw me all off. Whut? But I'm pretty sure the Pirates will come back today. They are still not eliminated for the division title and have something to gun at. David Hale goes for the Braves. Meh. Edinson Volquez goes for the Pirates.
Yesterday: 7-7, Sept.: 197-135, Games of the Day: 102-65 (+2), Season: 1327-1069

No comments: