Wednesday, September 03, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: September 3, 2014

Tuesday's picks went a perfectly mediocre 8-7. I had picked the Indians, which looked good until the ninth inning. Carlos Carrasco did something never done before, but in vain. He struck out ten while giving up ten his while only allowing one run. And he did that all in 5.1 innings. I had said on Twitter that this combination had never been done before and was quickly shot down. But I was correct and when I proved it, the shooter never acknowledged that I was correct in the first place. Don't you hate that?
The Braves and Yankees continue to tank and my picks are not reflecting the fact. Both teams were brutal yesterday. I have failed to acknowledge the Cubs as they keep winning. And the Astros beat the Angels too. It is a pretty strange night when the Mets win a slugfest.
Wednesday's picks:
  • The Braves over the Phillies: I must be stubborn or something as I keep picking the Braves when they clearly are in a slump. But, golly, Ervin Santana should beat David Buchanan, should he not?
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: You have to give the Pirates credit. If they can turn around Edinson Volquez, they can turn around anybody. And I would pick him today except that through all the miserable starts Shelby Miller has made this year, he has been great in day games. You have to dig deep to do this stuff. Heh.
  • The Giants over the Rockies: There hasn't been any pitching in this series, so stating that Ryan Vogelsong and Christian Bergman are pitching doesn't mean a whole lot. The win will go to the first team to ten runs.
  • The Athletics over the MarinersFelix Hernandez has been a bit vulnerable in his last four starts and except for last night, the M's have been in a bit of a hitting funk. I like Jon Lester's chances in this one.
  • The Red Sox over the Yankees: I have to be good here because forged will be on me, but I have just about had enough of the team from the Bronx. I want their season to end and for Derek Jeter to ride off into the sunset. So many emotions! Anthony Ranaudo has won all three of his starts, Hiroki Kuroda should also retire after this season.
  • The Orioles over the RedsDylan Axelrod apparently has rebuilt his career as he is pitching great since his return to the big show. And Miguel Gonzalez is the Orioles' weakest starter. But can you really pick against the O's these days? Nope.
  • The Tigers over the IndiansDanny Salazar has been very good his last three outings. The problem is that he doesn't go deep into the game. We are talking five innings here. And the Indians' bullpen is frightening. Justin Verlander would be the cheeky pick here. That was a pun over his recent exposed posterior being spread around. He can take his vengeance out on the Indians.
  • The Mets over the Marlins: I really like both pitchers in this game in Jacob deGrom and Tom Koehler. I have had both on my fantasy team. I like deGrom more though, so that's the pick.
  • The Blue Jays over the RaysMarcus Stroman got bombed by the Rays on August 22. So either he will be shaky or have revenge on his mind. He had a great start his last time out. Chris Archer has been scuffling over his last month after looking terrific for most of the season.
  • The Cubs over the Brewers: Okay, Cubs. I've started to belief. I especially like Kyle Hendricks. And I especially don't like Matt Garza. Besides, Cubs, Garza mouthed off about his time with the Cubs. Incentive enough?
  • The Angels over the Astros: I really, really want to pick the Astros as Collin McHugh is a terrific young pitcher. And Jered Weaver isn't overly inspiring, though he wins a lot. The Angels are the better team and if Weaver has a good day, they should win.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: Ugh. This is a match-up from down below. John Danks can never be counted upon and Trevor May isn't exactly enjoying his time in the Majors thus far and is 0-4. Like I said: Ugh. And it looks like Adam Eaton is out again.
  • The Royals over the RangersJason Vargas is never my favorite pick to make. And Nick Tepesch has pitched much better of late. The Royals have a slight edge at home and with their bullpen.
  • The Padres over the DiamondbacksJosh Collmenter has had a very good season. Andrew Cashner has pretty much had a lost season. The pick comes down to how hot the Padres are as a team, especially at home.
And the Game of the Day
  • The Nationals over the DodgersJordan Zimmermann will have to have a good game as the Dodgers are a good team. Carlos Frias gets his first MLB start after five relief appearances. Signed as a 17-year-old free agent way back in 2007, Frias has paid his dues. He has good control but not a knock out pitch.
Yesterday: 8-7: September: 16-12, Games of the Day: 85-60 (-1), Season: 1146-946

1 comment:

forged said...

lol. I have such a rep now.

The Yankees are likely not a playoff team. (Not shocking given how they played the Red Sox last night.)

They have a faint hope for playoffs, but it is going to get very bleak in a couple of weeks - unless they suddenly get amazingly hot.

My only exception to the commenting to the Yankees are horrible is just that they aren't in the category of teams that are truly horrible this year. (Rangers, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Astros, Twins, etc.)

The Yankees team is sure forgettable and lumps right in with some of the ones from the 80s though. It's disappointing. On the other hand, I don't have as much frustration as you do on this front because I simply don't see as many of their games as it sounds like you do.

I'm sure my feelings are also contributed to by the fact that I believed going in that they were going to be the third best team in the AL East and while I was wrong about the two teams I thought would be ahead of them, they are a half-game ahead of 3rd place in the AL East -- not exactly blowing my expectations out of the water.

Still it is disappointing because I want the teams I root for to actually be in the playoffs.