Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: April 15, 2015

I am back in the negative numbers again after two decent days. I should know better than to pick Stephen Strasburg. That never works out of me. And doggone if the Yankees can't hit a middling arm like Miguel Gonzalez. How about Shane Greene!

Wednesday's picks look like this:

  • The Indians over the White Sox: Indians' players are dropping like flies, but I still like Trevor Bauer over John Danks.
  • The Marlins over the Braves: The Braves have played above water in the early going. I don't think it will last. On top of that, I have little faith in Eric Stultz. Then again, I have no idea what Dan Haren is going to do.
  • The Red Sox over the Nationals: I have no idea anymore with these two teams. Are the Red Sox this good? I thought the Nationals were supposed to be good? Wade Miley gets the not over Gio Gonzalez.
  • The Rangers over the Angels: Anthony Ranaudo has taken over Derek Holland's spot for now and he has a chance to succeed. Hector Santiago doesn't thrill me very much. This could be a high scoring game.
  • The Pirates over the Tigers: Francisco Liriano has to be on to beat the Tigers. That is a 50/50 proposition. The Tigers lose the DH in Pittsburgh and have Alfredo Simon on the mound. That combination makes me lean to the Pirates.
  • The Yankees over the Orioles: Bud Norris isn't the craftsman that some of the other Orioles pitchers are. That means he won't take advantage of bad swings by Yankee pull hitters as often as his compadres. A lot depends on the evolution of Nate Eovaldi.
  • The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: The battle of the Ays continues and I will take Mark Buehrle over Erasmo Ramirez any day.
  • The Reds over the Cubs: Travis Wood's velocity is in the Jered Weaver range and he doesn't strike anyone out. That's tough in today's market. Jason Marquis just rolls along singing his song year by year.
  • The Royals over the Twins: I think most of us highly over-anticipated a better Twins club this season. As to this point, they look awful. The Royals are rolling, but that law of averages thing is staring me in the face. Edinson Volquez versus Kyle Gibson.
  • The Athletics over the Astros: Drew Pomeranz and Collin McHugh both pitched really well their first times out. With the pitching seeming to cancel each other out, I have to go with the better team, and that is the A's.
  • The Cardinals over the Brewers: My friend, Bob, still things I jinx the Cardinals when I pick them. I don't know how to react. I can't just pick them to lose every day, especially when I think they can win. And I still think they should have kept Allen Craig over Matt  Adams, but that's just me. Lance Lynn over Wily Peralta.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: This is an emotional pick so you are all warned. I just want Brandon Morrow to pitch well after several hurt seasons. Chase Anderson threw well his first time out.
  • The Mariners over the Dodgers: Brett Anderson did well in his first start. But will that last? Will he stay healthy? The track record says no. Taijuan Walker was pounded his last time out. That isn't him though.
  • The Giants over the Rockies: Tim Lincecum had a successful first start, but that was against the Padres, a team he seems to own. The Rockies are another story. That said, I'm still not all in on Tyler Matzek.
And the Pick of the Day:

  • The Mets over the Phillies: Jerome Williams makes about three good starts a season. The trick is to pick when they will be. Jon Niese will make it a moot point either way as the Phillies aren't hitting much anyway.
Yesterday: 6-7, Season: 55-63, Picks of the Day: 3-6.

No comments: