Friday, May 01, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Friday: May 1, 2015

Ah, May. Welcome. I love May. My son was born in May. Spring actually hits Maine in May. We usually start playing golf in May. The days are longer in May. And it also means April is gone. By April! Take care! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! April ended up one game under .500. That is awful. Terrible. And the month ended perfectly with a dismal 4-4 record yesterday. Good riddance! Now on to good times!
Friday's picks:
  • The Cubs over the BrewersJon Lester still hasn't won a game for the Cubs. That doesn't bother me much. I would think it bothers the Cubs fans. He faces Wily Peralta who also hasn't won a game this season. Either one of them will finally win a game, or the relievers will win because...you know...the NL is the thinking person's baseball.
  • The Orioles over the Rays: The Orioles are the home team. But they are playing the game in Tampa. That will be weird. And once again, they will be playing without a crowd. That was low, wasn't it? Chris Tillman over Alex Colombe. Will the O's wear their home unis? Will the Rays wear their road unis?
  • The Red Sox over the Yankees: The Red Sox always kill CC Sabathia. Unfortunately, that used to be a novelty. Now everyone kills Sabathia. Justin Masterson has been better of late. I'll have to watch the game on NESN, so I hope I get to see Daniel Nahver play.
  • The Marlins over the Phillies: Both Florida teams are in the same state today. I bet the Cubs have a bigger attendance than the combined Florida games. Tom Koehler and Jerome Williams square up.
  • The Mets over the Nationals: In a great match-up, Max Scherzer faces Matt Harvey. Both pitchers cancel each other out and then the bullpens take over. Advantage: Mets.
  • The Reds over the Braves: The Reds win the battle of funny-named pitchers. Anthony DeSclafani goes against Mike Foltynewicz. Oh come on now. How am I going to remember that? It's not like I am Babe Ruth and can call everyone, "Kid."
  • The Rangers over the Athletics: Everything tells me that the A's should win this game. That is why I don't trust it. This is my anti-self pick. Colby Lewis and Scott Kazmir are the pitchers.
  • The Twins over the White Sox: It is far obvious that I cannot figure these two teams out right now. Heck, if Chris Sale gets pounded by the Twins, what will happen with Jose QuintanaKyle Gibson goes for the Twins.
  • The Royals over the Tigers: Big statement last night by the Royals. They kicked booty. Remember when they could never beat the Tigers? But wait, Chris Young is starting for the Royals. Uh oh. But before I get all panicky and listen to all his naysayers, the guy is 66-52 in his career. He does something right. Kyle Lobstein goes for the Tigers.
  • The Mariners over the Astros. Ugh! What do I do with this game? Sam Deduno against Roenis Elias!? Heaven help me.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: The Pirates don't seem to be all that peppy so far I don't know what to make of them. A.J. Burnett doesn't help me figure that out. I guess I'll go with Lance Lynn and the Cards at home.
  • The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks. The D-backs are playing some decent ball. And Rubby De La Rosa has been good. The Dodgers have Carlos Frias going for them and he has started one game in the Majors. Seems easy. Seems like a trap. Seeing the trap and leaping over it.
  • The Rockies over the Padres: I am not comfortable going with Ian Kennedy just coming off the disabled list. Eddie Butler walks as many people as he strikes out. But he does okay otherwise. Maybe I'm over-thinking this...
  • The Giants over the Angels: Charlton Chris Heston got rocked his last time out. But that was in Coors, so we'll give him a pass.  C.J. Wilson goes for the Angels. The Angels lose the DH, but they also lose the game.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Blue Jays over the Indians: I thought Carlos Carrasco was a sure thing and then he got bombed last time. Heck, Chris Sale got bombed last night. Who saw that coming? Anyway, Mark Buehrle continues to bamboozle.
Yesterday: 4-4, April: 164-165, Picks of the Day: 14-11

No comments: