Friday, May 08, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Friday: May 8, 2015

Sheesh! Another negative night and it took a real bad blown save by Huston Street to keep it from being worse. Of course, his meltdown hurt my fantasy team. That's four par or subpar days in a row now and I need to get on track!
Friday's picks:
  • The Nationals over the BravesGio Gonzalez sort of confuses me. He is not as good as he was before the suspension, but not as bad as I keep thinking he is. I think he does well against the Braves and the Nats hit Eric Stults.
  • The Yankees over the OriolesAdam Warren will have to have a good night to have this pick hold out, especially since the Yankees can never seem to hit Miguel Gonzalez, which is really weird since he's not a world beater. Caution as this is a wishful thinking pick.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: I am a huge Michael Wacha fan and so this pick is for him. Francisco Liriano is a hit or miss kind of guy and I never seem to hit it correctly. This pick was certainly wrong yesterday.
  • The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: This is an interesting game. The Red Sox fired their pitching coach and we will have to see how that works out. Both Wade Miley and Aaron Sanchez have struggled, so I can only see through this glass darkly.
  • The Tigers over the RoyalsDavid Price has only had the one bad start. Otherwise he has been brilliant. Yordano Venture will try not to stir up any trouble tonight.
  • The Indians over the Twins: Neither Mike Pelfrey nor Trevor Bauer have lost a game this year. That's sort of weird, but it is still early. I have no idea what to make of the Indians. I'll pick them at home, but the Twins sure have been playing well.
  • The Rays over the Rangers: I have to check on the Rangers. I don't even know who plays for them anymore besides third base and shortstop. The Rays' lineup is kind of bad, but I have a feeling Nathan Karns will have a good night and better Yovani Gallardo.
  • The Cubs over the BrewersJimmy Nelson has had a couple of real clunkers for outings lately and the Brewers are still offensively challenged. I'm going with the Cubs who start Jason Hammel tonight.
  • The Reds over the White Sox: The White Sox rarely win a game that Hector Noesi starts, so I can't go there. Jason Marquis just keeps rolling along. The Reds get an extra bat with the DH.
  • The Dodgers over the Rockies: I don't expect Brett Anderson to pitch as well as he did his last time out, especially at Coors. But I think the Dodgers' offense will explode again tonight starting with a short outing by Eddie Butler.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Padres: Okay. The Diamondbacks have been picked against for three straight games and have made me look stupid each time. So I give in and pick them to win even with  the mediocre Jeremy Hellickson on the mound. James Shields be darned.
  • The Astros over the AngelsJered Weaver is averaging 83 MPH on his fastball this season. His arm must be Swiss cheese and he is 0-4. Not that I am a big fan of Roberto Hernandez, but let's go thatway in this one.
  • The Mariners over the Athletics: I always pick Sonny Gray, but not tonight. He is simply due to lose. A lot will depend on if Tiajuan Walker is over his early season funk and pitches like he is capable.
  • The Giants over the Marlins: The Fish are a long, long way from home and Tim Lincecum has turned back the clock and looks terrific. Jarred Cosart will try to prove me wrong. He is a fiery guy.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Mets over the Phillies: I cannot in good conscience ever pick against Matt Harvey even if he is facing Cole Hamels. Even if the two pitchers cancel each other out, the Mets win late.
Yesterday: 5-6, May: 51-45, Season: 215-210, Picks of the Day: 18-14

No comments: