Saturday, June 29, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: June 29, 2013

At least last night finished in the black for a change. At least for once, an extra-innings game went my way. At least the Game of the Day was correct for the second day in a row. Two blown saves cost me but I am sure that Matt Harvey is more ticked off about one of them than I am. Two position players pitched last night to show you how offensive the night was. There were 46 runs scored in the Indians - White Sox double-header alone. The funniest (in a sad way) pick of the day was picking the Dodgers and Chris Capuano to win. They lost 16-1, making that one of the most lop-sided incorrect picks of all time. Heh.

Saturday's picks:

  • The Nationals over the Mets: I have a habit of picking against Dillon Gee and it has burned me in the past. And I fully realize that picking the Nats to win means taking a huge chance on Taylor Jordan as he makes his Major League debut. Jordan has been selected to the Futures Game, but if he pitches well, he will have other obligations. Excellent control numbers in the minors have led to the jump from Double-A to the big leagues for Jordan.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Braves: I have picked Tim Hudson over and over and he is 4-7. I am not saying this is all his fault. I am just saying the long-time ace is no longer a lock to win. Ian Kennedy is my pick instead.
  • The Cardinals over the Athletics: Freakin' Bartolo Colon. Heh. His win over the Cards yesterday knocked the Cards out of first place for the first time in a long time. The Cards have their big guy, Adam Wainwright on the bump. Will he be better than Jarrod Parker at home? That is the pick.
  • The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Felix Doubront is never a lock. But I like his chances better than Esmil Rogers. There are two good lineups here and the game will depend on which one clicks against the starting pitcher.
  • The Angels over the Astros: Josh Hamilton is starting to hit a little bit. Mike Trout is flying. But am I really picking Joe Blanton to win a game? I guess so. Jordan Lyles is pitching for the Astros.
  • The Indians over the White Sox: These two teams have to be exhausted. Both need big outings from their starters. Neither are predisposed to doing so. So, if I have to make a choice, I will go with Ubaldo Jimenez over Dylan Axelrod.
  • The Royals over the Twins: Yet another Major League debut, this time for Kyle Gibson, a somewhat highly rated pitching prospect for the Twins. He is 25 though, so his time might be now. But I cannot pick two debuts in one day. And yet, the other choice is Wade Davis of the Royals. Man. And it is totally freaking me out that I am picking all visiting teams to win. Not good.
  • The Rockies over the Giants: Matt Cain has pitched twelve times at Coors Field and is 6-3 there. So why am I picking against him? Part of the reason is that the Giants are slumping. Part of it is that Cain's ERA there is 4.50 meaning the Giants have to score five runs to win. I am going with Jorge De La Rosa.
  • The Padres over the Marlins: I am still zero for the season when picking for or against Eric Stults. He has me totally bent over backwards and unable to get up. But I have to pick him here because I think he will be better than Jacob Turner of the Marlins.
  • The Mariners over the Cubs: Aaron Harang's ERA is two runs lower at home than on the road. And it is totally weird that his ERA overall is 5.29 and yet his strikeout to walk ratio is 5.36. What strange numbers. Today will be his good day against a lineup for the Cubs that is not so hot. Jeff Samardzija is the victim of poor run support.
  • The Reds over the Rangers: Nick Tepesch confuses me. He had three horrid starts in a row and then he pitches well against the Cardinals. Whuh? I never think of Mike Leake as an effective pitcher, but he is 7-3. So I guess I will go with the Reds.
  • The Tigers over the Rays: Evan Longoria limped off the field. That is not good for the Rays. Chris Archer should not be able to keep up with Justin Verlander. But then again, Justin Verlander has not been able to keep up with Justin Verlander lately.
  • The Orioles over the Yankees: The Yankees look very, very sad right now. Or maybe that is just me at the development. They have had a nice run. They are not a playoff team this year. I do not like picking Zach Britton as he is pretty terrible. But the Yankees cannot score and David Phelps will have a good outing wasted.
  • The Dodgers over the Phillies: This is a good match-up of tough lefties. I think that Hyun-jin Ryu comes out ahead of Cliff Lee in the end.

And the Game of the Day!
  • The Pirates over the Brewers: I do not even know who Donovan Hand is. So I looked him up. Meh. I will take Francisco Liriano in a heartbeat and the Pirates to continue their magical season.

Yesterday: 9-7
Week: 40-34
Month: 195-183
Season: 660-532
Games of the Day: 50-37

No comments: