Sunday, June 23, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: June 23, 2013

This Game of the Day thing is driving me crazy. To refresh your memory, the Game of the Day is not the most exciting game each day. Rather, it is the one pick I feel to be a lock. Now, in my mind, these picks should never be wrong. But that has never been the case. Back in 2011, the Game of the Day was correct 62.5% of the time. Last year it was 61.5%. The percentage was still higher than the regular picks, but not spectacular. This year has been a disaster. It started well at 22-8 at one point. But now, after a run that has been 24-27 since then (that's right, a losing record for 51 days), this year's tally is 56.8 percent, right around where the rest of the picks are.

Take yesterday for example. The Game of the Day was the Cardinals over the Rangers. Martin Perez was pitching for the Rangers. His career record to that point was 1-5 with a 5.48 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP. The Cardinals are one of the best offenses in the game. Easy right? Nope. The Cardinals could only manage two runs on seven hits. Amazing.

Sunday's picks:

  • The Twins over the Indians: I am not feeling Carlos Carrasco in this one. Oh no! Does that make this another Martin Perez pick? Have I learned nothing? Only that I will not make this the Game of the Day pick. Mike Pelfrey with the win.
  • The Blue Jays over the Orioles: The Orioles riled up Jose Bautista, and that is never a good thing. Josh Johnson looked dominating his last time out. Yahoo says that Freddy Garcia is starting. MLB.com says TBO. Either way, it is not good.
  • The Nationals over the Rockies: I am feeling Ross Detwiler today. Yeah, the odds are against me here. But Jorge De La Rosa is good, but not unbeatable and I have done well with Detwiler when I have picked him.
  • The Mets over the Phillies: This should be a lock. Game of the Day, right? Just that I said it should be a lock makes me not want to do it. But gosh, Matt Harvey versus John Lannon? Come on, now, right?
  • The Yankees over the Bay Rays: I need this game to make my weekly prediction over at It's About the Money, Stupid, to be correct. Besides that, either Ivan Nova or Chris Archer has an equal shot at winning the game or being awful. So take the home team.
  • The Brewers over the Braves: I am sick of picking the Braves and them getting shut out. They have an entire lineup of two-outcome players. Not well constructed on offense. It reminds me of last year's Yankees. Plus, I have never been a Paul Maholm fan. Not that I am a big fan of Alfredo Figaro Figaro Figaro. But he did win his last time out.
  • The Royals over the White Sox: The White Sox have beaten the Royals all weekend. But I think that James Shields stops the bleeding with a big outing. Besides, I am not in favor of picking Dylan Axelrod on any kind of regular basis.
  • The Cubs over the Astros: Jeff Samardzija should shine in this one. He has such great stuff. But then again, Jordan Lyles has gone 4-1 since joining the team. So who knows.
  • The Angels over the Pirates: I made fun of Charlie Morton the last time he pitched and he poured salt on my wounds. Did you get it? Anyway, I am still picking against him. But that means I am picking Joe Blanton to win. Egads me.
  • The Giants over the Marlins: Matt Cain is 5-3 with seven no-decisions. So, he is only winning 33% of his starts. That's not right. He should be the Marlins, especially with Nathan Eovaldi getting the start for the Fish.
  • The Reds over the Diamondbacks: This series has been epic. Yesterday's game featured double blown saves. How do you pick a game like that? Well, having Mat Latos go against Randall Delgado is one way you break the ice.
  • The Padres over the Dodgers: Pay no attention to Chris Capuano's last start. That was against the Yankees and they make all mediocre pitchers look sublime. The better pick here is Andrew Cashner. Would someone like to volunteer to teach Hanley Ramirez how to button a shirt?
  • The Athletics over the Mariners: Jarrod Parker has been on a roll lately and I have picked against hime every time. So now I will pick him and he will tank, right? The Mariners start Jeremy Bonderman, whose success has confounded everyone, including me. This is not real, is it?
  • The Cardinals over the Rangers: Adam Wainwright should get back to ace-ness in this one after a not-so-ace-like start last time out. Nick Tepesch does not fill me with goosebumps. This is another series that has been terrific.

And the Game of the Day!
  • The Tigers over the Red Sox: Hey, Justin Verlander? How does it feel to be the second best pitcher on your team? I think the bum (hehehe) still beats the Red Sox and the Tigers score three or four off of Felix Doubront.

Yesterday: 8-7
Last week: 55-46
Month: 155-149
Season: 618-498
Games of the Day: 46-35

No comments: