Saturday, September 07, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: September 7, 2013

Something strange happened yesterday. Strange for this week anyway. I had a good picking night and got the Game of the Day pick correctly. Imagine that! After a really bad start Sunday and Monday, the picks are finally in the black. Hey! That qualifies for a come from behind victory. Here is the post pick interview:

FoxSports - William, you really pulled that week out of a deep hole. Did you think you would make it back like you did?


William - I just kept grinding and putting together good picks. I knew that if I did that, I would come out okay.



FoxSports - That was brilliant the way you picked a San Diego team that started Burch Smith.



William - Every night is a different hero. Everyone is doing their part and I am just trying to fit in and contribute.



FoxSports - Thank you, William. Congratulations on your day.


Did I get all the cliches in there? If I did not, just listen to John Farrell's post game interview. He nailed them all.

Saturday's picks:

  • The Red Sox over the Yankees: No David Robertson. No Boone Logan. The Yankees are starting David Huff, AKA, David Hassle Huff and I think the Red Sox will score some runs for John Lackey. Geez, what a time for the Yankees' bullpen to lose it after it being their strength all year.
  • The Orioles over the White Sox: The poor White Sox. Is there any way they can win a game? Eight straight losses now and counting. Too bad they have become the designated patsies among the AL East. Wei-Yin Chen over Hector Santiago.
  • The Reds over the Dodgers: Wow! What a potential match-up! Two of the hottest pitchers in baseball right now with Mat Latos and Zack Greinke. Woo! I am going with Latos because he is home and because one of these guys has to win the game.
  • The Athletics over the Astros: I almost looked like the Astros were going to beat the A's in two straight games. But, alas, the sad team from Houston lost it in the end. I like Brett Oberholtzer a lot and he has been good for the Astros. But the A's are just too good a team and will win at home with Dan Straily.
  • The Cubs over the Brewers: Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta is not my most reliable choice as a starting pitcher. But he has to be the pick when poor Johnny Hellweg continues his rude introduction to the Major Leagues.
  • The Indians over the Mets: I really sort of think the Mets might win this game as Jonathon Niese has been pitching really well. But the Indians seem to have some sort of charm about them right now and somehow, they will win late. Corey Kluber makes a start after missing a bunch of time.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: I think the combined and average score for the Tigers against both the Indians and Royals is like 17-3. Every game seems like a blowout. Justin Verlander is not the same as he has been. But he can win this one I think. Danny Duffy has had a nice start to his rebirth in MLB, but reality sets in a bit here.
  • The Twins over the Blue Jays: One of my least favorite things in life is picking Kevn Correia to win a ballgame. But if I have to pick between him or J.A. Happ, one of them has to get the win and it might as well be the guy pitching at home.
  • The Marlins over the Nationals: Nathan Eovaldi has been making a monkey out of me and keeps pitching well. When I finally get tired of that and pick him today, he'll probably get beat up. Tanner Roark has made nine MLB appearances and yet somehow that knowledge totally eluded me. I had never heard of him before. How does that happen? He is 4-0 in relief. He will be 0-1 as a starter.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: This NL Central is like Rocky movie with all the changes in momentum. The Cards do not hit lefties well and Jeff Locke is one of those. But Locke has hit a wall after pitching well all season. Adam Wainwright has not been ace-like lately. He will have to be tonight.
  • The Rockies over the Padres: It is a battle of Ty's as Tyler Chatwood squares up against Tyson Ross. I have no idea which will win. They are both rather fungible.
  • The Giants over the Diamondbacks: How did that grit and dirt do for the D-backs this year? Not very much after all is said and done. I really like Brandon McCarthy, but I cannot pick him to win. Matt Cain has been his old self in the second half.
  • The Angels over the Rangers: The Rangers are going to pooch this aren't they? The offense just isn't there. Derek Holland always lets me down. Garrett Richards has been pitching pretty well.
  • The Rays over the Mariners: This game is rather interesting. Chris Archer will probably win. But James Paxton is making his MLB debut. He is a former #1 draft pick (2009) for the Mariners who did well in the minors until he hit the PCL. But the PCL is murder on pitching. So he is one of those guys who could actually be better in the Majors.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Braves over the Phillies: Yeah, this pick did not go well yesterday. But I really like Alex Wood and I really like the Braves' chances against Kyle Kendricks. They are a strikeout-prone team hitting against a guy who does not strike out people.

Yesterday: 10-5
Week: 43-39
Month: 43-39
Season: 1185-934
Games of the Day: 89-64

No comments: