Wednesday, September 04, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: September 4, 2013

The first two days of September were brutal and awful, but at least I picked the Game of the Day correctly. Yesterday was much better but the Game of the Day was wrong. Der. I thought sure the Orioles would beat the Indians. Where did that Ubaldo Jimenez come from? I called the Yankees - White Sox game dead on with Chris Sale looking good early and then the Yankees winning it late. I also correctly called Homer Bailey over the Cardinals despite a good performance from Michael Wacha.

I will take solace in a much better day and know that to rescue this week, I will need more good days to pull it out of the mire. So here goes. Wednesday's picks:

  • The Mets over the Braves: I am not quite sure why the Braves are starting Kameron Loe unless they have somehow fixed his flaws in a hurry since they obtained him. They have a huge lead in the division, so I guess no biggie. The pick then goes to Dillon Gee who has been stingy with runs lately.
  • The Astros over the Twins: Yeah, this did not work out yesterday, but I do not quite believe in Liam Hendriks even if he did beat the Rangers his last time out. Looking at that game, it was truly a BABIP game with at-em balls. Jordan Lyles is not a more savory pick, however.
  • The Cubs over the Marlins: I went back and forth on this one. Brian Flynn makes his MLB debut for the Marlins and had great numbers in the minors this season. It looks like he can go deep into games too. The flipper for me was that Jeff Samardzija should strike out ten Marlins today.
  • The Rangers over the Athletics: Every single time I have picked Yu Darvish to win, he has not. And he has had some trouble with the A's before. But come on now. The guy is a beast and should win every game he pitches. Perhaps Jarrod Parker will have something to say about it. It is a big game.
  • The Blue Jays over the Diamondbacks: This pick worked out for me yesterday and picking Mark Buehrle has also worked out really well lately. I am not sure about him pitching in the dry air of Arizona, but we'll see. He will go against the sometimes tough, Randall Delgado.
  • The Giants over the Padres: Tim Lincecum was brilliant last time. I remember because I picked against him. He goes against Eric Stults, a pitcher that confuses me to no end.
  • The Indians over the Orioles: I thought Zach Britton was going to be a star. But like so many other Orioles young pitchers, he never panned out. For the O's to start him when they are fighting for their lives seems a bit dicey to me. I would much rather go with Zach McAllister. Hey! Look at that! A Zach attack.
  • The Yankees over the White Sox: CC Sabathia has not come through for the Yankees for quite some time. He needs to show up tonight. For the White Sox' part, they give Erik Johnson his MLB debut. Johnson will not go deep in the game. His minors' numbers indicate that. He does not strike out people and he can be wild at times. He also gives up a lot of hits.
  • The Nationals over the Phillies: It is really hard after all these years to pick against Roy Halladay. But his last start showed that he is not all the way back yet. Jordan Zimmermann has sort of put it back together after a rough patch and the Nats are hitting much better lately.
  • The Red Sox over the Tigers: Both teams start their weakest starters in Ryan Dempster and Rick Porcello, so it seems the two cancel each other out. That said, the Red Sox have the better bullpen and are the home team. So they are the pick.
  • The Cardinals over the Reds: This series has gone the Reds' way so far. And Bronson Arroyo has been very effective. I don't really know how, but he has. That said, the Cardinal bats should come alive in this one and they have a chance IF Shelby Miller has a good game.
  • The Royals over the Mariners: Taijuan Walker looks fabulous and his MLB debut went really well. He was economical and tough to hit. But, he only went five innings and his team had jumped out with a lead. Ervin Santana can hold down Walker's team for the five or six innings he will pitch and then the Royals win late against the Mariners' bullpen.
  • The Rockies over the Dodgers: I cannot believe the Dodgers picked up Edinson Volquez. They must think they can straighten him out. That is going to take a huge iron because Volquez has been the worst starting pitcher in baseball. And his first Dodgers' start is in Coors? Oy. Jorge De La Rosa is my pick.
  • The Angels over the Bay Rays: I have long not been a Jeremy Hellickson fan despite how he always seemed to win to belie his less than wholesome peripherals. But the wins have stopped coming now so the law of averages has caught up a bit. All that said, it will take a great game by Jered Weaver to beat the Rays.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Pirates over the Brewers: I am picking a lot of visiting teams today and I do not like that very much. But this is how they look, so all fear aside, I carry on. Francisco Liriano has been amazing except for a few bum starts. I do not see one of those latter starts here. And I do not see Wily Peralta hanging with him.

Yesterday: 9-6
Week: 20-25
Month: 20-25
Season: 1162-920
Games of the Day: 88-62

No comments: