Sunday, April 19, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: April 19, 2015

I had a second very good day in a row. I am feeling much better about myself, but still a far way from even a .500 record. One of the few I got wrong was saying that I really wanted to pick Dallas Keuchel and then not doing so. Listen to your first instincts!
Sunday's picks:
  • The Blue Jays over the Braves: This is a very tough call. Shelby Miller has looked great. But so has Daniel Norris. Shelby Miller has more experience having been to the post season. But the Blue Jays have an explosive offense. When in doubt, go with the home team.
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: I'm expecting Shane Greene to have his bubble popped sooner or later. But perhaps not today. The Tigers got whomped last night. Today will be different. Jose Quintana could be a tough customer though.
  • The Mets over the Marlins: It's Matt Harvey day and that has become must-see baseball. Tom Koehler has been doing just fine himself, but he is no Harvey. Taking Harvey at home as it seems a no-brainer.
  • The Yankees over the Bay Rays: I like thinking about Michael Pineda in the heat where he can be loose and himself. That could be spectacular. I know little about Matt Andriese, who goes for the Rays.
  • The Red Sox over the OriolesMiguel Gonzalez won't pitch like he did against the Yankees. The Yankees make him look like Cy Young. And I think Rick Porcello will keep the Orioles in check.
  • The Nationals over the Phillies: Here we go with Stephen Strasburg again. Between him and Harang, from yesterday, the two dog my days and give me bad dreams. But good golly, Strasburg should be better than David Buchanan.
  • The Indians over the Twins: Ugh. Two pitchers I have no faith in with Trevor May going for the Twins and T.J. House going for the Indians. Both but a bad taste in my picks. One of the teams has to win...
  • The Angels over the Astros: First, I have little faith in Scott Feldman. Secondly, it is the 2015 debut for Garrett Richards and all I can say to that is, weeeeee!
  • The Royals over the Athletics: This is a really tough one. I really like Scott Kazmir and I really like Danny Duffy. I am going with the Royals because they are at home and can win in a variety of ways.
  • The Cubs over the Padres: Here are two clubs who thought they were significantly better this season and neither has been. Will either of them live up to the expectation? Jon Lester over Andrew Cashner.
  • The Giants over the Diamondbacks: I'm looking good in my thought that the D-backs made a mistake in acquiring Jeremy Hellickson.  Then again, I never know how good Tim Hudson is going to be these days.
  • The Dodgers over the Rockies: Eddie Rogers has gotten away--thus far--with walking ten batters in eleven innings. That will burn him sooner or later, especially since he isn't a big strikeout guy. Brandon McCarthy has become a wicked tough pitcher again.
  • The Mariners over the RangersJames Paxton needs to tighten it up a little bit but he can be really good. Ross Detwiler gave up five runs in his last outing and his ERA went down. Heh. I think the M's will romp.
  • The Cardinals over the Reds: The Cards have had their way this series and finish it off with Adam Wainwright. So it's nice how that worked out. Mike Leake just sort of exists out of the corner of the mind, doesn't he?
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Pirates over the Brewers: I'm pretty convinced that the Brewers are going to have a really bad season. Gerrit Cole should have his way with their offense and Matt Garza will yield a couple of runs.
Yesterday: 10-5, Season: 83-88, Picks of the Day: 5-8

No comments: