Tuesday, April 21, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: April 21, 2015

I went back into the deep hole yesterday after spending three days trying to climb out. At least the Pick of the Day was correct. The closer ruined me in the Cleveland / Chicago game. The Mariners let one slip away after having a good lead. Alfredo Simon was either really good or the Yankees were really bad. The Orioles were sloppy.
Oh, and Jim Palmer? Right on. David Ortiz thinks he is bigger than everyone, including Hall of Fame players. Respect, Ortiz? How about you respect parents and children with your foul mouth?  Clutch player over the years...but otherwise...an irritant.
Tuesday's picks:
  • The Pirates over the Cubs: I can't quite figure out these two teams yet. Francisco Liriano has always had brilliant stuff and inconsistent results. Travis Wood is sort of like Buehrle-lite. Both have to be on to win. Flip a coin.
  • The Marlins over the PhilliesDan Haren looked good his last time out and I like his chances against the moribund offense of the Phillies. Jerome Williams still has two or three good starts in him this season.
  • The Nationals over the Cardinals: I'm really torn here. I really like Lance Lynn but I also like power lefties against the Cardinals like Gio Gonzalez. I'll go with the home team.
  • The Blue Jays over the Orioles: I don't think the Orioles like playing a game in the morning. They looked so flat yesterday. I like the Blue Jays' offense against Bud Norris. It's just a question of how Mark Buehrle fares.
  • The Yankees over the Tigers: I actually like the Yankees better against left-handed pitching. I think they have a chance against Kyle Lobstein. And it is time for Nathan Eovaldi to show some progress.
  • The Rays over the Red SoxChris Archer is making his fourth start already and his last two have been brilliant. Wade Miley has been iffy for the Red Sox. The Rays aren't hitting at home, so there is that...
  • The Brewers over the RedsMike Fiers is 0-2 and has a high ERA. But I think he's been a bit unlucky as the batting average against him has been very high. His strikeouts are there. The Brewers are due for a win. Jason Marquis goes for the Reds.
  • The Indians over the White Sox: Once again, in Carlos Carrasco, we have a strong starter for the Indians and then fret about the bullpen. Hector Noesi goes for the White Sox.
  • The Royals over the Twins: Tommy Milone is 2-0 including a win over the Royals. The Royals will have some revenge tonight at home as long as Jason Vargas can hold down the Twins.
  • The Padres over the Rockies: The Padres' offense is explosive and they went off at Coors yesterday. I think they will hit again today off of Tyler MatzekBrandon Morrow has pitched very well and has no decisions to show for it.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Rangers: The Rangers lose some offense without the DH and Chase Anderson always keeps the Diamondbacks in the game. Nick Martinez is 2-0. Can he keep that up? I don't think so.
  • The Athletics over the Angels: This again is a toss up to me and all depends on the pitching. Drew Pomeranz has looked good and has only walked one batter in twelve. He was a little unlucky in his last start. Hector Santiago is always there for me to kick and yet wins his share of games. So you got me here.
  • The Astros over the MarinersCollin McHugh is a good pitcher and the Astros' offense has come alive a bit. Taijuan Walker had a great spring and has looked lost once the season started. He is quite capable of making this pick look rather stupid.
  • The Giants over the DodgersTim Lincecum has looked good so far with no wins to show for it and is usually solid against the Dodgers at home. Brett Anderson is a five inning pitcher and the Giants can go after the Dodgers' bullpen. The Dodgers do have a win streak though.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Mets over the Braves: I have said it over and over through the years. Jon Niese is much better than people realize. I like him at home against the Braves. Trevor Cahill is ripe in my mind at least.
Yesterday: 3-6, Season: 94-101, Picks of the Day: 7-8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tip my hat to you sir. Picking every game on the board and hovering around .500 is not an easy feat by any means. You are to be commended.