Friday, September 12, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Friday: September 12, 2014

I was one blown save away from a perfect picking day. When Chris Young hit his three-run blast in the bottom of the ninth off of Jake McGee to win the game for the New York Yankees, a dream 11-0 day went out the window. That was also the Game of the Day pick. And you know what? How can I be upset about that?
I had called the double-header sweep by Cleveland. I had called the Red Sox win. I had called Cueto's gem over the Cardinals. I had gotten it all. And then that homer. But I don't care. I'm happy.
The only thing I'm not happy about was what happened to Giancarlo Stanton and Chase Headley. Both got hit in the face by fastballs. I really hope that both will be okay. That was very, very scary.
Friday's picks:
  • The Yankees over the Orioles: These two teams play two games today and this will be a tough task for the Yankees. The Orioles are starting two of their regular rotation guys and the Yankees will have to use an untested rookie in the second game. Besides that, the Yankees are missing lots of players due to being banged up. The Yankees have their best chance in the first game as Brandon McCarthy faces Kevin Gausman.
  • The Orioles over the Yankees: I really like Bryan Mitchell and I think he is going to be a good pitcher. But this is a lot to ask of a guy making his first MLB start. Bud Norris goes for the O's.
  • The Pirates over the CubsTsuyoshi Wada has been great for the Cubs and the 33-year-old Japanese star knows how to pitch. I just think that Gerrit Cole and the Pirates the way they are playing will be too much for the Cubs to overcome.
  • The Phillies over the Marlins: Without Giancarlo Stanton in the lineup for the Marlins, they have little to work with. Plus, Cole Hamels is very, very good. Henderson Alvarez does have flashes of brilliance, but what support will he get?
  • The Tigers over the IndiansDavid Price is way due for a win and though Carlos Carrasco has pitched really well for the Indians, I can't see him matching Price if Price is on his game.
  • The Nationals over the Mets: There is some bad blood brewing in this series already. Dillon Gee looked good against the Reds, but the Reds are struggling. Gio Gonzalez had a good start his last time out too.
  • The Rangers over the Braves: If Derek Holland pitches like he did his first two starts, then the Braves won't touch him. But that is the only way the Rangers win the game. Otherwise, this pick could go up in flames with Alex Wood going for the Braves.
  • The Royals over the Red SoxYordano Ventura has to pitch well for this pick to come in. Otherwise, Allen Webster and the Red Sox could prevail for the second straight game.
  • The Brewers over the Reds: I always like picking Kyle Lohse at home. He traditionally does better in those cases. Mat Latos can come up big, but I don't see it happening today.
  • The Twins over the White Sox: The one thing I can be sure about is that Phil Hughes will probably not walk anyone and Jose Quintana just never gets a break. Both of these pitchers have been really good all season.
  • The Cardinals over the Rockies: The Cardinals have stumbled again and if ever they needed a stopping kind of win it is from Adam Wainwright today. Jorge De La Rosa is the Rockies' best starter.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: Is it just me or do Vidal Nuno and Eric Stults always seem to face each other? How do you pick a winner out of those two guys? I'm going with the Padres, but I have no good reason.
  • The Angels over the Astros: The Angels hardly ever lose these days and are clicking really well. Brett Oberholtzer should get some props for taking the ball every fifth day and giving it his best. I don't see him beating the Angels and C.J. Wilson today.
  • The Mariners over the Athletics: This is the Mariners' chance to knock off the A's while the A's are really vulnerable. James Paxton has been terrific and Jason Hammel can be had.
  • The Giants over the Dodgers: This is a tough one as two tough lefty pitchers square off. I am giving the edge to Madison Bumgarner over Hyun-jin Ryu because he has been at the top of his game in the last month.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Blue Jays over the Rays: The Rays will start Nate Karns who they got in the Loboton trade with the Nationals. Karns made three unimpressive starts last year for the Nats and has not had a good season in Triple-A. I'm going with J.A. Happ even though he looks out of gas lately.
Yesterday: 10-1, Sept: 87-61, Games of the Day: 92-62 (-2), Season: 1217-895

1 comment:

forged said...

I agree that is very scary stuff about the players taking fastballs to the face. Hopefully they will have speedy recoveries.

Apart of me wonders if the umpires enforced the batter box would there have been a chance to have avoided these incidents last night.