Tuesday, September 09, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: September 9, 2014

Nine of twelve picks were correct yesterday, which is a good day. Of the three incorrect picks, one went extra innings as the A's blew another save and then lost to the White Sox. I did not anticipate how far the Brewers have fallen as they lost to the Marlins. And it appeared that Danny Salazar was just teasing when his was so good in his last start. He was terrible on Monday and sank that pick like a torpedo.
I would take a day like yesterday pretty much every day. Let's see what I can do with a full schedule. Tuesday's picks:
  • The Nationals over the Braves: The Nats can smell blood now and can put the Braves in their rear view mirror for good with another win. Jordan Zimmermann is certainly capable of shutting the Braves down and the Nats' offense can handle Ervin Santana.
  • The Indians over the Twins: I almost got cute and picked the Twins. After all, Trevor May was much better his last time out. But in the all Trevor game, Trevor Bauer should have a good day at home.
  • The Pirates over the Phillies: You can't stop these Pirates right now. They look pretty solid in the wild card spot. Edinson Volquez has been a big part of the team's success all season. David Buchanan has pitched respectably for the Phillies.
  • The Yankees over the Rays: I'm grasping the last sign of Yankee life with this pick. Hiroki Kuroda has pitched well of late. The one thing bugging me is that Chris Archer always seems to shut the Yankees down.
  • The Blue Jays over the Cubs: This year has been an adventure with Mark Buehrle. Early on, I could not believe he was doing so well and should have picked him more. Then I couldn't believe he would get so bad and I picked him too often and now he has pitched well again and I haven't picked him at all. Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta goes for the Cubs.
  • The Orioles over the Red Sox: The O's have a magic number now (12) and it will at least come down to eleven as Chris Tillman should beat Anthony Ranaudo. Man, the Orioles are good.
  • The Mets over the Rockies: Jacob deGrom is one of my favorite young pitchers. He reminds me of a young Jered Weaver with a power arm. Christian Bergman pitched well his last start but zero strikeouts tell me he was probably lucky.
  • The Cardinals over the RedsMichael Wacha has come back at the perfect time and makes the Cardinals that much more formidable. He should handle the scuffling Reds and the Cards should hit Mike Leake.
  • The Angels over the Rangers: I haven't thrived picking against Colby Lewis. But every time I watch him pitch, he looks ripe to be had. Hector Santiago goes for the Angels who are on a hitting frenzy of late.
  • The Marlins over the Brewers: Is it fair to say that I have never liked Matt Garza. It goes way back to his days with the Rays. He's like that guy at the bar that thinks he is better than others even if you prove him wrong a hundred times. So this is personal as he loses to Tom Koehler.
  • The Athletics over the White SoxJohn Danks is terrible. He has a decent start once in a great while to give you hope, but for as young as he still is, it just isn't there. Jon Lester is easily the pick here.
  • The Astros over the MarinersRoenis Elias is not King Felix and I have already written about how good I think Collin McHugh has been. My only fear with this pick is the Astros' bullpen.
  • The Dodgers over the Padres: I'm not thrilled to be picking Roberto Hernandez here. The pick is more for the Dodgers as a whole being better than the Padres. Of course there is also Andrew Cashner who cannot seem to harness his ability.
  • The Giants over the DiamondbacksWade Miley has been pretty good in the second half. I just don't like him against the Giants' offense as it is going now. Yusmeiro Petit has been great for the Giants.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Tigers over the Royals: Say it ain't so. The Royals are the team under pressure here and not the Tigers. The Royals have never had to close the deal. The Tigers have done it often. Max Scherzer over Jason Vargas.
Yesterday: 9-3, Sept.: 61-47, Games of the Day: 91-60 (+6), Season: 1191-981

No comments: