Friday, May 29, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Friday: May 29, 2015

Short schedules always frighten me because this is little margin for error. Therefore, I am happy to finish at 5-3. Of the three incorrect picks, on one, I am kicking myself. On the other, I am kicking the manager and the other was a battle between two good pitchers and I picked the wrong one.
The latter I don't mind. But I KNEW I should pick the Red Sox yesterday. I had a strong feeling that Eduardo Rodriguez was the real deal. Heck, I even picked him up on my fantasy team. Dumb. 
As for kicking the manager, the Yankees NEVER should have lost that game last night. With the game on the line, Joe Girardi brought in David Carpenter.
Why is that a bad thing? Because the A's have a .767 OPS against right-handed pitching but only a team .611 OPS against left-handed pitching. David Carpenter is right-handed. The Yankees have four left-handed relievers and one of them, Chasen Shreve, was very effective after Carpenter gave up the winning runs (inherited runners Sabathia put on base). Stupid.
Friday's picks:
  • The Cubs over the Royals: The Royals lose the DH, which has been very important to their offense. Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta will benefit from the Royals aggressive swinging and the Cubs will score a few off of Edinson Volquez.
  • The Phillies over the Rockies: First, the Phillies have their best pitcher, Cole Hamels, on the mound. Secondly, Chad Bettis is not pick-worthy...at least to me. I like the Phillies at home here.
  • The Orioles over the Rays: The Orioles are back home at Camden Yards and that is usually an appealing pick. Miguel Gonzalez is usually good against the AL East. The one problem I see is that Nathan Karns is pitching very well.
  • The Reds over the Nationals: I'm not picking Stephen Strasburg again. Never. Ever. Again. Well...at least until he starts winning. Anthony DeSclafani goes for the Reds at home.
  • The Red Sox over the Rangers: I don't feel good about either starting pitcher here between Yovani Gallardo for Texas or Steven Wright for the Red Sox. But one of the teams has to win and I'm going with the Red Sox.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Brewers: The Brewers lost their hot streak and are back going in the wrong direction. Rubby De La Rosa has been a great pick up for the D-Backs. Jimmy Nelson hasn't put it together yet.
  • The Astros over the White Sox: This could be a good one. Lance McCullers Jr. has been pitching well for the Astros, but Carlos Rodon is a real stud prospect for the White Sox. I go with McCullers because he has far better control at this point than Rodon who is walking way too many batters.
  • The Blue Jays over the Twins: I like Mark Buehrle in this one. I think he'll have a good game. Trevor May has been inconsistent and you don't want to now be really on against the Blue Jays' offense.
  • The Cardinals over the Dodgers: I hate this pick. I hate picking John Lackey for one thing. But he is capable of dominating a game. I also hate picking against Mike Bolsinger who has been terrific for the Dodgers. But this is what my gut is telling me here.
  • The Angels over the Tigers: The Tigers are missing Victor Martinez in their lineup. It's still a decent lineup, but not quite the same. The two starters here are hard to pick. Hector Santiago and Anibal Sanchez have had their struggles.
  • The Athletics over the Yankees: That was a big loss for the Yankees last night because they get Sonny Gray tonight. I always go with Sonny Gray. I definitely am not feeling Chris Capuano. Although, Capuano is a lefty...hmmm
  • The Indians over the MarinersRobinson Cano is hurting and not himself. Taijuan Walker has not put anything together this year and Trevor Bauer is pitching well.
  • The Padres over the PiratesJames Shields just keeps on winning. It's hard to pick against that. Francisco Liriano is such a puzzle. He simply cannot be counted upon.
  • The Braves over the Giants: The Braves' bats have gone silent. But they do seem to win behind Mike FoltynewiczTim Hudson is pitching at home, which is hard to pick against. But I'm doing it anyway.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Mets over the MarlinsMatt Harvey should bounce back from his anomalous bad outing. Dan Haren may be able to match zeroes though, if he is on.
Yesterday: 5-3, May: 190-165, Season: 357-330, Picks of the Day: 29-22

No comments: