Sunday, May 24, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: May 24, 2015

As good as Friday was for picking baseball games, Saturday was just as bad on the flip side. Everything that went right on Friday went wrong on Saturday. There were three extra-inning games. They all went against me. Matt Harvey was rocked. CC Sabathia was rocked (thanks also to bad defense). The Rays and Cardinals lost pitching duels. It was a bad, bad day. Oh, and for the thousandth time, Stephen Strasburg pooched the bed for me.
But we keep on going. Sunday's picks:
  • The Blue Jays over the Mariners: Two young pitchers in this one with all kinds of talent struggling to find their way. Which one will perform? I'm going with Aaron Sanchez at home and the Jays are due to win a game. Taijuan Walker is the other young gun.
  • The Tigers over the AstrosAnibal Sanchez is really struggling. But if he can figure some things out, he can get lots of strikeouts today. Roberto Hernandez is Roberto Hernandez.
  • The Orioles over the Marlins: The Orioles might be a little upset about the pine tar thing last night. Frankly, the whole things is ridiculous since every pitcher does it. Some are just better at hiding it. Miguel Gonzalez over Tom Koehler.
  • The Indians over the RedsRaisel Iglesias isn't exactly mowing down MLB hitters and gets his second start of the season. I'd prefer to go with Trevor Bauer, which is saying something since Bauer is inconsistent at best.
  • The Angels over the Red Sox: I went back and forth on this one so it will probably be wrong. First, Wade Miley isn't as good as the Yankees made him look. Secondly, the Red Sox have trouble with left-handed pitching which is what Hector Santiago is. But, the Red Sox beat a lefty yesterday.
  • The Braves over the BrewersMike Foltynewicz was folty his last time out. But he should do better this time at home. My big problem here is that Jimmy Nelson was great his last time out against the Tigers. hmm...
  • The Mets over the Pirates: Funny how the Mets and Yankees crashed and burned at the same time. Jon Niese is still a good pitcher though and Francisco Liriano is about as reliable as a Ford Pinto.
  • The Phillies over the Nationals: The Phillies are also suspect against lefty pitchers, but Gio Gonzalez hasn't been very good thus far. And I can't pick against Aaron Harang because he kills me when I do.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: This one is a complete toss up. Jose Quintana is a quality pitcher. Kyle Gibson has his moments. I have no idea which team will win this game.
  • The Royals over the Cardinals: Whenever I pick aces lately, it doesn't work out for me. And the odds are that a pitcher who is 6-0 is going to lose some time, right Michael Wacha? I don't want him to, but...he might be bettered today by Yordano Ventura, who I don't like at all because of his demeanor.
  • The Cubs over the Diamondbacks: I just can't get myself to pick a team that pitches Jeremy HellicksonJason Hammel goes for the Cubs.
  • The Dodgers over the Padres: The Giants sweep the Dodgers. The Dodgers sweep the Padres. And baseball goes round and round. Carlos Frias, like Bolsinger, has saved the Dodgers so far. I like him over James Shields today.
  • The Rockies over the Giants: The thought of Tim Hudson at Coors is a bit frightening for me. So I'm not going there. Chad Bettis has been decent enough for the Rockies in his two starts. I'll go that way.
  • The Yankees over the Rangers: No wonder baseball fans complain about the Yankees being on national television so much. This isn't exactly a marquis match-up between these two teams right now or the two pitchers, Chris Capuano and Yovani Gallardo. But that's what the nation will get tonight. Oh goody.
And the Pick of the Day is:
  • The Athletics over the Rays: I'm going back to my guy, Sonny Gray to take the A's over the Rays, all of which rhymes of course. You don't want to expose Erasmo Ramirez for too long because the ceiling will cave in eventually.
Yesterday: 5-11, May: 157-133, Season: 321-298, Picks of the Day: 25-21

No comments: