Sunday, May 04, 2003

Ack! OOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! Clemens lost again even though he pitched great. Barry Zito pitched even better and the Yankees made two baserunning blunders that cost them dearly. Both teams only managed four hits and one of Clemens' runs given up was unearned. The old man pitched great but at a bad time. I wonder how many times that has happened in his career. So...he is STILL at 297 and three from the magic number.

Bartolo Colon looks to be about 25 pounds overweight. Now, I can't say anything personally since I am MORE overweight than that. But I am not a ballplayer and I'm not paid a gazillion dollars to perform at my peak using my body. He is and he should be taking care of that body for the best results.

I have heard the other arguments before from overweight pitchers and how they do just fine with the extra weight. The Red Sox had a HUGE pitcher for a couple of years. His name escapes me at the moment except that they called him El Guappo or something like that. Yes, he did have one really good year but he was not the same after that and I believe he is out of baseball now. Denny McClain was great and then gained weight and also got in big trouble but he was never the same either.

I used to bowl competitively and made good money doing so. There is no doubt in my mind that my best seasons were when I was at my thinnest and most fit. When you are regularly exercising and taking care of your weight, for some reason you are just more aware of your body and can make it listen to your mind. The last time I tried to bowl, I pulled a hamstring. See!?

Colon has some of the best stuff in baseball (or at least he did). He topped out tonight at 96 MPH but most of his fastballs were of the 90 and 91 MPH category. I won't question him and his willingness to win, but he just doesn't seem to have much passion when he pitches. And it's always seemed that way with him.


The Tigers scored seven runs today and won! Wow!


Some of the colder players in April are starting to show some life: Jason Giambi won the game yesterday with a homer. Junior Spivey had three homers this weekend. Ichiro had a homer and a double tonight. Slow starts should never panic with those types of players with that kind of experience. They will end up where they always end up.

No comments: