Friday was not kind to a lonely old game picker and the night finished a pick under .500. And that is after the Tigers finally won a game. The Red Sox were not supposed to lose, but deserved it with that crap in the ninth inning. What was that, Bobby? Brandon Morrow was counted on for a big start and was absolutely awful. Terrible. Poor Ryan Dempster needs to be traded. He had another wonderful outing and lost, 1-0. Ian Kennedy again came up a- crapper. Clayton Kershaw lost to the Astros. That entire last sentence does not make any sense. It just was not a good day.
Saturday has to be better to end the week in the black. If not, it will be the second negative week in a row. We can't have that! So, bear down, William. Get this right! Saturday's picks:
- The Tigers over the Twins: Are the Twins what the Tigers needed at this point in their so- far crummy season? Perhaps. Carl Pavano can pitch a decent game at times, but he should get a bit overwhelmed here against Detroit. Max Scherzer needs to be good though.
- The Rangers over the Blue Jays: The Blue Jays are so confusing. Gosh, Josh, they are confusing. Henderson Alvarez is usually pretty solid, but look at that Morrow pick yesterday. Going with Colby Lewis at home.
- The Royals over the Orioles: Felipe Paulino has already pitched shutout ball against the Yankees and Red Sox. If he doesn't against the Orioles, this picker will cry, "Discrimination!" Wei-Yin Chen has been great...until his last start.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: The Yankees face old friend, Bartolo Colon. And Colon might have a good day. But he won't get the support he needs with CC Sabathia pitching.
- The Nationals over the Braves: Normally, the pick would be the Braves here. But they aren't the same team without McCann and Chipper. Plus, Stephen Strasburg is pitching. Plus, Mike Minor is pitching and the way he's going, you'll have to put, "Leagues," after his name.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Two good pitchers in Jake Peavy and Derek Lowe. Going with Peavy.
- The Giants over the Marlins: Simply cannot pick against Madison Bumgarner. Mark Buehrle will bend enough for the Giants to win.
- The Angels over the Mariners: Felix Hernandez bounced back well in his last start and is hard to discount. But all Jerome Williams does is win. Plus, Albert Pujols is Pujols again.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Paul Maholm will get all the runs that Dempster never gets. That's because Kevin Coreia simply isn't good enough to win on most nights.
- The Reds over the Rockies: The Reds are about as confusing at the Blue Jays for this picker. They win four games in a row for like the first time in forever and then their best pitcher loses. Mike Leake has been brutal all season. Now, all of the sudden, he's good. Oy! Give him the W against Jeremy Guthrie.
- The Cardinals over the Phillies: Any pick with Jaime Garcia attached to it is questionable. But the Cards should hit Kyle Kendrick hard and often. The Cards' fans are awful restless if Twitter is any indication. Settle down, folks. It will be fine.
- The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: Which Josh Beckett shows up tonight? The beer and chicken, golfing one or the one that can occasionally be outstanding? And can the Red Sox hit David Price?
- The Astros over the Dodgers: Isn't this Astros' season sort of amazing? Hasn't Bud Norris been sort of amazing? Hasn't Myers been great as a closer? Chad Billingsley is the loser in this one.
- The Brewers over the Diamondbacks: Two great pitchers that are 5-1 with Zack Greinke and Wade Miley. One of them has to win.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Mets over the Padres: Clayton Richard was good his last time out despite this picker's harsh words for him. Sorry about that. But it is still not enough for the pick to go his way. The Mets win at home behind Johan Santana.
Games of the Day: 38-20