September has really gotten off to a rocky start for the Game Picks. On the one hand, the Game of the Day feature has been correct six days in a row. But the rest of the picks have been gruesome. After a below .500 night last night, the week is in the red and the month is in the red. Of course, Aroldis Chapman blowing a save did not help. But that was just one of many surprises on the night.
There is only today to pull the week over the hump and to start repairing the monthly total as well. So Saturday is sort of big. The picks:
- The Nationals over the Marlins: Hmm...the Marlins have been swinging the bats well lately and Mark Buehrle did win his last start and does neutralize some lefties like Harper and LaRoche. But the Nats are simply the better team. Mike Morse should do something and Ross Detwiler continues his wily ways.
- The White Sox over the Royals: This pick is not a comfortable one. The White Sox just don't seem to be getting the job done. Chris Sale goes for them and has been fading a bit. That's to be expected as he is in uncharted territory with his innings. Bruce Chen is totally dependent on location and BABIP.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: Again, not a comfortable pick. It depends on if James McDonald is any good today and it has been an every other outing thing for him. His last one was lousy. Jeff Samardzija is making his last start of the year as he will be shut down after this one. He could very well hold down the Pirates.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Okay, so one win gives this picker a little hope again. But the Orioles just won't curl up and die either. C.C. Sabathia has to be an ace today. It's his turn to earn his money. He needs to keep the Orioles in the yard, which has been tough to do. Joe Saunders was great in his first start for the O's, but that can't last. It never does with Saunders.
- The Astros over the Reds: Yeah, this seems foolish, but hear it out. Bud Norris has lost like ten in a row. So that has to end some time. Bronson Arroyo has been on a hot streak. That has to end some time. The confluence of luck seems to surround this pick. Okay, this picker is probably an idiot. But whatever.
And the Game of the Day!
Games of the Day: 87-63