Tuesday, June 24, 2003

After another day of fun in the Florida sun, I turned on the Marlins/Mets game and I hear a familiar smarmy voice. "I know that voice," I said to myself. Then I had to know so I performed a Yahoo search for the Marlins announcers and sure enough, I see the name: Tommy Hutton. Oh my gosh, it's Tommy Hutton!

Hutton was the Blue Jays announcer I listened to all those years where I could only watch a bunch of their games from the Canadian stations. Through the Blue Jays championship seasons, Hutton's homish, gushing way of doing color for the Blue Jay telecasts would make me want to puke.

And here he is, announcing Marlins games the same way. I like the Marlins. They are fun to watch and I've been coming to South Florida for six years now and have been to several of their games. So my gagging at the TV is not because Hutton is announcing FOR the Marlins. I had often wondered if my reaction to him before was because I've always hated the Blue Jays. But today's broadcast tells me that it's Hutton and Hutton only. He makes my skin shrivel with his drivel.


Nomar Garciaparra went five for five tonight. That spectacular game comes two days after he went six for six. Nomar's average is now up to .344 and he is having the best season of any shortstop this season. He is also a strong candidate for MVP although if the vote was held today, the award would have to go to Carlos Delgado who is now up to 80 RBI!


Randy Johnson of the Diamondbacks was moved from the 15 day disabled list to the 60 day. That is much more time than was expected which is a big blow to Arizona's season and Johnson's career.


The transaction wire today listed that the Mets signed their second round draft choice, Beau Vaughan. I wonder if that name made the team's fans shudder.


Speaking of Beau...or Bo...Bo Hart has started really his MLB career with a bang as he is batting .450 in his first few games for the Cardinals. That must be exciting for their fans. Hart made a spectacular play against Griffey tonight too!

Speaking of rookies, the Mets/Marlins game featured Cabrera for the Marlins and Jose Reyas for the Mets. Reyas had a tough game but Cabrera went two for five and just missed a homer to left as it curved foul at the pole.

No comments: