Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Today is the perfect day for resolutions. In the year 2008, I, the Flagrant Fan, make the following baseball resolutions:

1. I resolve to take the cheaper way out and watch all MLB games on my computer in a little four inch box rather than buy the cable package and watch them on the big screen television.

2. I resolve to write this blog that hardly anybody reads nearly every day.

3. I resolve to quit trying to look at box scores on ESPN.com when they are much easier to view on Yahoo.com

4. I resolve to not view Barry Bonds any worse than all those other players and dislike him purely for personality reasons.

5. I resolve to hope the Dodgers win the World Series this year despite the fact that I always hated them. Torre deserves his place as one of the great managers of this age.

6. I resolve to continue hoping that Tony LaRussa falls on his Brian Billick this year.

7. I resolve to acknowledge that the Boston Red Sox are the best team in baseball despite the bad taste it leaves in my mouth.

8. I resolve to find out what all those sabermatic terms mean so when I read Rob Neyer's columns I know what OPS+ means. Old dogs need to learn new tricks eventually.

9. I resolve to keep willing Willie Randalph a "fun" gene.

10. I resolve not to be surprised when the Bay Rays of Tampa become better than respectable this year.

11. I resolve to stop hating the Toronto Blue Jays for the sole reason of holding a grudge against their smarmy announcers of the 1980s.

12. I resolve the Fan's continued quest to see Bud Selig and Bill Gates at the same time so I am convinced they aren't the same person.

13. I resolve to try to like Alex Rodriguez and appreciate his amazing ability to hit a baseball.

14. I resolve to personally will Andy Pettitte to win 20 games so this amazing class act can put to bed one mistake in judgement.

15. I resolve to rejoice when Goose Gossage finally makes the Hall of Fame.

16. I resolve to finally prove to Jayson Stark that Cal Ripken Jr. should have been in his book.

17. I resolve to stop hoping that a batted baseball hits Curt Schilling in the mouth.

18. I resolve to stop being amazed at how stupid and obnoxious fan comments are on ESPN.com.

19. I resolve to hope with all I am to root for the hated Kenny Rogers to win big this year for the sole reason that he fired his agent.

20. I resolve to finally write my baseball book this year.

21. I resolve to try and stay awake on those World Series games that end at 1:00 in the morning.

22. I resolve to not watch the Home Run Derby, which has become a lasting symbol of the steroid era.

23. I resolve to finally watch the Bronx is Burning episodes that have been saved in my DVR for months.

24. I resolve to remember that Willie Mays was the best player I ever saw play baseball.

May your new year be prosperous, healthy and full of fun baseball stories despite the clouds covering the game. Enjoy, Everyone.

No comments: