The correct picks included Justin Verlander's gem, Jared Weaver out dueling C.J. Wilson, the Blue Jays giving the Mariners their twelfth straight loss and the Braves beating the Rockies despite a less than stellar effort from Tommy Hanson.
A once great week is evaporating like a Blue Jays' lead in the late innings. Perhaps like the Blue Jays, the Fan can finish strong. Friday's picks:
- The Cubs over the Astros: This one can be ugly. The Cubs are festering like an untreated wound. Carlos Zambrano is due for a good start. Bud Norris is starting to give up a few more runs.
- The Angels over the Orioles: The Angels have hope now that they tightened the gap with their series against the Rangers. Ervin Santana has been pitching well with no run support. He should beat Alfredo Simon, who had a good outing last time out though.
- The Indians over the White Sox: The Indians are at home and have a chance to prove they are where they belong to be against the White Sox. Carlos Carrasco has to be good though. He faces Gavin Floyd.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: The Yankees have limped home after a two losses to the Bay Rays and they face their favorite whipping team, the Athletics, who will pitch Trevor Cahill. Phil Hughes has to pitch like last time though.
- The Phillies over the Padres: The Padres have been hot of late and Corey Luebke has been good for them. But Cole Hamels gets the win.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: Chris Carpenter goes for the Cardinals in Pittsburgh and faces Paul Maholm, the unluckiest of the Pirates' hurlers.
- The Braves over the Reds: Not real confident in this pick since Jair Jurrjens didn't pitch well in his last start. But if he is on his game, he should beat Bronson Arroyo. Freddie Freeman is on fire and Jason Heyward is back and homered his last game.
- The Mets over the Marlins: Who knows what to make of these two teams. They never win when expected or lose when expected. Both teams are in this picker's head. Mike Pelfrey versus Chris Volstad.
- The Mariners over the Red Sox: The odds are all over this one. The Mariners have to win a game some time and pitch Felix Hernandez, who is long past due for a dominant outing. The Red Sox offer up John Lackey, he of the wonderful body language on the mound.
- The Rangers over the Blue Jays: The Rangers need to regroup after losing two to the Angels. Nelson Cruz was mad about not playing the other day, so things aren't peachy in Arlington. Colby Lewis goes for the Rangers against Jo-Jo Reyes.
- The Twins over the Tigers: Taking the Twins at home. They jumped all over Max Scherzer last time they faced him and counter with the gutsy Brian Duensing.
- The Rays over the Royals: Wade Davis is back from the disabled list and that is scary, but the Bay Rays always hit better on the road and face the inconsistent, Luke Hochevar.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: The D-backs are at home with Daniel Hudson on the mound--a good combination. The Rockies are on the road and pitch Aaron Cook--a bad combination.
- The Giants over the Brewers: Shaun Marcum is a tough customer, but so is Matt Cain at home.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: John Lannon keeps his team in the game, but the Dodgers do well at home and Hiroki Kuroda is a good pitcher.
Games of the Day: 70-40