Rant over. Here are the picks for those scant games we've been waiting for:
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: The Blue Jays always play the Yankees tough. And the Blue Jays are at home. But there are two things about this game. First, the Yankees can pound the ball just as well as the Blue Jays and the Blue Jays' bullpen is really struggling. Secondly, Bartolo Colon usually bounces back nicely after a less than stellar performance. Jo-Jo Reyes is uneven at best.
- The Marlins over the Cubs: The Marlins started to come on a bit just before the break. Their most consistent pitcher, Anibal Sanchez gets the start and the Cubs don't win very often that Matt Garza pitches.
- The Royals over the Twins: Bruce Chen always seems so...so...meh...as a pitcher. But he's a lefty against the Twins, which is good and he seems to win somehow. Francisco Liriano is having a very uneven season with equal flashes of brilliance and abomination.
- The Rockies over the Brewers: Why on earth would the Rockies want to trace Ubaldo Jiminez? The guy is young with a great arm and has shown the ability to win. Why lose that? Ubaldo wins at home over the Brewers and Yovani Gallardo.
- The Giants over the Padres: The Padres have played the Giants tough--probably because both have trouble scoring runs. Madison Bumgarner pitches much better on the road and he is in San Diego this time. Aaron Harang pitched well his last time out, but what run support will he get?
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Tough pick here. Derek Holland was absolutely terrific his last time out and he is pitching against a poor offense. But Jason Vargas has been very good at times and could hold the Rangers' offense down too. Tough call.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Indians over the Orioles: Jerermy Guthrie is 3-12! He is a battler, but he is 3-12! Going with Justin Masterson, a pitcher this Fan really admires.
All Star Game: 0-1 oh well
This week: 8-8
This month: 77-68
This season: 731-630
Games of the Day: 65-37