Just another mundane day of picks in a long string of them. The Orioles keep fighting and scratching...and winning. The Cubs beat the Dodgers. Didn't see that coming. The closer cost the White Sox pick. The Rangers looked lifeless against the Indians. The Cardinals couldn't beat the Astros. And for some reason, this picker just can't accept how bad the Angels are. And so, out of fifteen picks, only eight came in. Just another murky day in a murky week.
Perhaps the end of the week will be a good one. Come on, Saturday, save the day! Here are today's picks:
- The Dodgers over the Cubs: Let's try this again. Chris Capuano has been pretty good and is pitching deeper into games. Chris Volstad is not pitching well at all.
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Tough game to call. Should be a tight one with Vance Worley out-dueling Gio Gonzalez. The Phillies will need to score three runs though, not easy for them.
- The Orioles over the Red Sox: Okay, Orioles. This picker surrenders. Jason Hammel somehow keeps pitching well making the Red Sox pound the ball into the ground and Aaron Cook is greeted rudely in his first start of the season. Both bullpens should be gassed after last night.
- The Mets over the Diamondbacks: Going with the Mets at home with Johan Santana on the mound. Patrick Corbin goes for the Diamondbacks and that does not instill enough confidence to pick the D-backs.
- The Giants over the Brewers: With Braun out, the Brewers' offense is Giants-like. You know Madison Bumgarner will give up two runs or less. The only question is if the Giants can score two or more off of Randy Wolf.
- The Pirates over the Reds: The Reds rarely win two games in a row. Mike Leake has been pitching awful. Which is sad because the guy is liked here. James McDonald is coming into his own.
- The Asros over the Cardinals: Bud Norris will be good. Again, it all boils down to whether Jaime Garcia can avoid his usual bad inning somewhere in the middle of the game. Picking that he can't.
- The Rangers over the Indians: Derek Holland is 4-1 and pitching well. He's left-handed, which isn't good for the Indians. Derek Lowe has been very good. But is due for a clunker. Two Dereks. Heh.
- The Yankees over the Royals: Interesting following these games on Twitter, KC bloggers are either viscous against their own team or viscous in their hatred of the Yankees. Get a grip, people. Hiroki Kuroda has a better chance of being on his game than Felipe Paulino making his first start of the season.
- The Bay Rays over the Athletics: The Bay Rays may never lose again. Jeremy Hellickson goes for them against Bartolo Colon, who lost a heart-breaker his last time out.
- The Braves over the Rockies: Could be another high scoring game. Jamie Moyer in Coors is dicey. Mike Minor is dicey after his last outing. Hard one to pick.
- The Marlins over the Padres: How long do the Padres stick with Orlando Hudson and Jason Bartlett? Both have been pretty useless. Mark Buehrle should hold the Padres down enough for the Marlins to get to Clayton Richard.
- The Angels over the Blue Jays: Yeah, yeah. Stupid, right? The Angels have to hit some time. Why not today? C.J. Wilson over Kyle Drabek.
- The Mariners over the Twins: So the Twins won a game last night. They face Felix Hernandez tonight and won't score. The Twins go with Jason Marquis, who is capable of anything.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Max Scherzer thinks he's found his problem. This pick takes his word for it. Gavin Floyd toyed with a no-hitter last time out. Don't think he will in this one. Big comeback win for the Tigers last night.
Games of the Day: 18-11