Yesterday's picks did not pitch a perfect game. That was left for Matt Cain to do. Wow! What a game, eh? But the picks were sort of like Lance Lynn and came in at 11-4 yesterday. In hindsight, two of the incorrect picks were for picking against two pitchers who have won ten games each. Was that not stupid in retrospect or not? The other is laughable because the picks predicted it. The line was, "Jason Marquis has nothing this year. After saying that, watch him go out and throw a gem." So, can this picker count that as a correct pick? Nah. The other incorrect pick was the Brewers who were victimized by shoddy relief pitching, namely Kameron LoeL.
The good day did much to spruce up the numbers for the week and the month. Let's see if they can continue. Thursday's schedule includes eleven games. Not bad. And five of them are day games. Excellent. The picks:
- The Indians over the Reds: The Reds have won the series, but perhaps the Indians sneak one here. Josh Tomlin has looked excellent but with his pitch to contact vibe, it's all about BABIP. Mike Leake has been better of late. Tough game to call.
- The Mets over the Bay Rays: This is a giddy pick. The Mets have been terrific in this series. Perhaps Johan Santana can finish the Rays off. Jeremy Hellickson only lasted four- plus innings his last time out due to control problems.
- The Athletics over the Rockies: This game comes down to which pitcher has a better chance to succeed at Coors. Jarrod Parker seems more able to do that than Alex White. Though, who knows.
- The Astros over the Giants: Will the Giants be all tuckered out after last night's emotional game? Can Wandy Rodriguez bounce back after a couple of so-so starts? Can Barry Zito hold down the Astros? Tune in and find out because this picker has no clue.
- The Pirates over the Orioles: The Orioles have had their way in this series. Facing Tommy Hunter gives the Pirates their best chance to win and Erik Bedard always pitches well against the team that originally drafted him.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rangers: What is it with these games today!? Daniel Hudson versus the winless Scott Feldman. Go ahead. Pick that!
- The Brewers over the Royals: Isn't it kind of sad that the Brewers are basically invisible this season? Shaun Marcum gets the win and the Brewers get to Luke Hochevar.
- The Twins over the Phillies: At least interleague play has given Jim Thome a last hurrah. But the huzzahs go to Scott Diamond who does nothing but win. Joe Blanton will be the victim.
- The Cardinals over the White Sox: After writing a guest column over at C70 at the Bat telling Cardinal fans not to panic, the pick has to go their way even if it means picking Jake Westbrook to win. Gavin Floyd goes for the White Sox and he will get hit.
- The Padres over the Mariners: This game as all the games in this series will be about which team can score a run or two. Edinson Volquez should be able to hold down the Mariners and Erasmo Ramirez should be able to hold down the Padres. Can already hear Mariners' fans calling the young pitcher, "Erasschmo," if he doesn't pitch well.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Tigers over the Cubs: You know those commercials where Verlander and others say they have earned their right to the All Star Game? Well, Verlander hasn't earned his right yet. He needs to string a couple of wins. The Cubs are a good place to start. And Travis Wood is a good match up.
Games of the Day: 40-28