The week ended badly yesterday on a brutal Saturday for the Game Picks. The picks started 3-0 and then 4-1 during the day and then went 2-9 in a bloody evening. The lame finish put a tepid spin on the week that after 95 games predicted, the week ended up just three games over the .500 mark. Not good. And the Game of the Day feature is back to struggling too. Once again, it goes to show that you cannot predict baseball. All you can do is guess and ride the wind.
Perhaps Sunday will be a better day. What is left of Isaac will be pushing up the Ohio Valley and affect Indiana and Illinois today. That makes the Cubs game a bit iffy, but since Chicago is further north, perhaps they will get the game in today. Other than that, it should be full blazes on the rest of the schedule. Sunday's picks:
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Holy cow, the hits on the Yankees' lineup keep coming. Now Curtis Granderson is out with a leg muscle strain. The Yankees are without Granderson, Teixeira and A-Rod. That is a big chunk of their offense. The difference maker in the game could be Phil Hughes, who is starting to arrive as a dominant and reliable pitcher for the Yankees. He is facing a tough pitcher though in Chris Tillman who made the White Sox look bad in his last start. Which pitcher will be better?
- The Rangers over the Indians: Did you realize that the Rangers' lead in the AL West is down to three games over the Oakland A's? The Rangers are just sort of spinning around and not playing great baseball. Tim Holland needs to have a good outing after his team's loss yesterday. Zach McAllister is a decent pitcher for the Indians.
- The Nationals over the Cardinals: Did you see that play with Bryce Harper yesterday? The kid is fearless. Stephen Stasburg had a bad outing last time. But don't let that lull you into thinking he is not going to be good today. If anyone can silence the Cards' big bats, he can. Jake Westbrook? Not so much.
- The Twins over the Royals: Esmerling Vazquez has never started a major league game. Luis Mendoza has perhaps started too many major league games.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: Yovani Gallardo has been terrific for the last month, especially at home where he is today. The Pirates' lineup is not exactly awe-inspiring which should also help him. But James McDonald came up big last time out and could do so again today. So this pick is a tough one.
- The Athletics over the Red Sox: That Red Sox pick yesterday was stupid. Ugh! Can't believe that was the pick! The Red Sox are as down as a team can be. And now Pedroia is yelling at Aceves in the open? Geez. But when it comes to baseball, Brett Anderson has been nearly unhittable since he came back from the DL. Boy, does he look good. Daisuke Matsuzaka looked good in his first outing back.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Tigers over the White Sox: For the first time in a long time, the Game of the Day is also the most important game of the day. The Tigers are only one game behind the White Sox now and a win here will make things very interesting. Justin Verlander is a nice ace to have in such a game. Chris Sale has been great this season too, but he did not look so good in his last outing.
Last week: 49-46
Games of the Day: 81-63