This was a tough week for the old game picker. But considering that the country had a real tough week, how can I complain? Yesterday was no different than the rest of the week as the picks struggled to a 9-7 day. I was zero for the Dodgers. The Astros pick made me look foolish. The Twins had a nice pitching day to out-pitch Jake Peavy and company. The Yankees won on an error in Toronto. Jeremy Hellickson stuck his tongue out at me and had a good outing. Apparently, Russell Martin took James McDonald out to the movies and that made him a Major League pitcher. Okay. So, yeah, it was a struggle.
The result was a very mediocre week that finished only eight picks above .500 after two really good weeks to start the season. I hope this week is much better.
It all starts with Sunday's picks:
- The Blue Jays over the Yankees: Yes, I have been picking this result all weekend and have looked like an idiot all weekend. But, gosh, Josh, one of these pitchers for the Blue Jays has to step up here eventually. Josh Johnson over Ivan Nova.
- The Reds over the Marlins: Alex Sanabia has had the most success as a Marlins' pitcher. But it is a bit of a mirage as his WHIP is 1.71. He is not overpowering and the Reds should get to him. Homer Bailey is confusing. But he is the pick.
- The Nationals over the Mets: Jordan Zimmermann has long been one of my favorite pitchers. I will rarely--if ever--pick against him. He is 3-0 so far. Just the opposite is Dillon Gee. Gee has gone from a guy with a lot of lucky wins to a guy who cannot seem to buy a win. Gee is 0-3.
- The Braves over the Pirates: The Pirates have done a nice job of slowing the Braves down this weekend. But that should end today as Jonathan Sanchez has been taking a beating thus far. Kris Medlen had a much better outing his last start.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: The Royals had a chance yesterday and did not get it done. Today, they play two against the Red Sox. That will not be fun for them. They get Ryan Dempster in the first game and Dempster has looked good in a Red Sox uniform. Ervin Santana goes for the Royals.
- The Orioles over the Dodgers: Call this pick the light socket pick. After sticking my finger in the Dodger light socket yesterday twice, I cannot pick them today. Chad Billingsley goes for the Dodgers and Jake Arrieta goes for the Orioles.
- The Athletics over the Bay Rays: Roberto Hernandez has not been quite as bad as his record indicates and knowing the Rays' organization's success with pitchers, he will be pretty good here after a while. But I just do not think the Rays will score much against Tommy Milone.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: I do not like either option at starting pitcher in this game. Scott Feldman has been terrible and Wily Peralta has not been very wily. So the pick is for the home team.
- The Astros over the Indians: Can I in my right mind pick Ubaldo Jimenez to win a game? Even after the Indians scored 19 runs yesterday? No, I cannot. Ubaldo has fallen and cannot get up. Oh yeah, picking Erik Bedard is such a picnic. Oy.
- The White Sox over the Twins: I have flip-flopped on this pick three times already. The White Sox simply are not very good and Gavin Floyd is 0-3. But the Twins are not great either and Scott Diamond was in the rough last time out. See what I did there? Oh, never mind. White Sox.
- The Tigers over the Angels: The Angels have busted out and their offense will now roll most of the season. My problem has not been their offense, but their pitching. C.J. Wilson simply does not impress me. Doug Fister has to be spot on to win though.
- The Padres over the Giants: Picking the Padres on any given day is sort of silly. But I like this kid, Eric Stults. Barry Zito was great...up until his last start. And they he became Barry Zito again. Which will it be today? Because that will make all the difference.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: I will freely admit that I picked the Rockies to come in last in this division. But their pitching has been surprisingly good. I like Juan Nicasio in this game more than I like Brandon McCarthy in Coors Field.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Jeremy Guthrie has been terrific ever since he joined the Royals. But he gets beat today by the Red Sox and it will not be pretty. The only concern is Allen Webster going for the Red Sox. His numbers look terrific, especially his control. But picking youngsters is always a problem.
- The Cardinals over the Phillies: While I am not a big fan of Jake Westbrook, I am not a big fan of Kyle Kendrick either. If both pitchers are equally yuck-worthy, then go with the better team. That would be the Cardinals.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Rangers over the Mariners: The Rangers' offense has been far from impressive in this early part of the season, but they are holding their own because of pitching. Today depends on Justin Grimm and how good he can pitch for the Rangers. Aaron Harang in the Rangers' ballpark is a scary proposition.
Last week: 48-40
Games of the Day: 14-6