Yesterday was terrible. The Game of the Day was wrong. The Yankees lost to the Mets...again. The Cardinals blew it in the ninth after Michael Wacha pitched a heckofa MLB debut. The Twins won again. Homer Bailey had nothing for the Reds. The Orioles were clearly better than the Nationals. Jake Peavy was terrible and gave up a grand slam to a pitcher. Brandon McCarthy was terrible. It was just bad. Sheesh.
Thank goodness interleague is over and today is the last day of May. Good riddance to both!
- The Diamondbacks over the Cubs: The Cubs have shown some life this week and are coming off of winning two of three from the White Sox. Matt Garza should keep the Cubs in the game. But ultimately, the D-backs take this one as Wade Miley has a good outing.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: CC Sabathia never pitches that great against the Red Sox. The Yankees will have Mark Teixeira and Kevin Youkilis back. But how effective will they be? At least they will face a lefty in Jon Lester. But that lefty is Jon Lester. Are these Yankees destined to sink beneath the waves now?
- The Pirates over the Reds: The Pirates are on fire. They still are not hitting that well, but their pitching has been outstanding. Wandy Rodriguez pitching at home is a good match up for the Pirates. And I will take him over Johnny Cueto.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: I like the match up of stud, Max Scherzer, against the Orioles' big bats. I think he will dominate. Plus, Miguel Gonzalez is just an okay pitcher for the Orioles. Somebody has to slow those bats down and Scherzer is a guy who can do it.
- The Phillies over the Brewers: Wow. Two teams really struggling. The Brewers have been really bad. The Phillies just not what they used to be. Cole Hamels is 1-8. Seriously!? That has to change eventually, right? It starts tonight against the Brewers. Yovani Gallardo will try to prove me wrong.
- The Bay Rays over the Indians: I have picked against Corey Kluber three times in a row and his team has won two of those three. So this pick is more about Matt Moore continuing his season of dominance. The Indians have a good team, especially on offense, so this should be interesting.
- The Mets over the Marlins: The Mets just swept the Yankees. They are not going to lose to the Marlins, right? Oh, brother. Why don't I feel good about this? Probably because Shaun Marcum is pitching. For the Marlins, former first round draft pick and just 22 years old, Jacob Turner gets the start for the Marlins. He has good control, is homer prone and does not blow people away, which is probably why the Tigers parted with him.
- The Nationals over the Braves: Stephen Strasburg is only 3-4 lifetime against the Braves with a 3.49 ERA against them. But he should strike out a bunch of free-swinging Braves and as long as he avoids the long-ball, should prevail in this one. Julio Teheran still has not convinced me. Bryce Harper should be back for this one.
- The Rangers over the Royals: The Royals had a nice comeback win against the Cardinals. George Brett in the dugout is weird for me. Derek Holland is weird for me. I never know from outing to outing how good he is going to be. If he is on, the Rangers win. Well, that is obvious. But I think the Rangers will tee off on Wade Davis.
- The Mariners over the Twins: The Twins are playing some good baseball right now. But they run into Hisashi Iwakuma tonight. He is the real deal. If the M's can give Iwakuma a few runs off of Mike Pelfrey, they should win.
- The Cardinals over the Giants: Matt Cain is tough to pick against. And the Cardinals at home with Shelby Miller are hard to pick against. Hopefully, Mitchel Boggs won't pitch for the Cards and that team's fans can keep their heads from exploding.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: Coors Field is the wild card in this pick. That place can make even the Dodgers' anemic offense look good. Clayton Kershaw should be fine there. Jon Garland should continue to give up base runners and a few of them will score.
- The Athletics over the White Sox: Bartolo Colon is impossible to predict. He could look great or he could get pummeled. Dylan Axelrod is hanging in there. But the A's should win this one.
- The Padres over the Blue Jays: This is a weird interleague match up. What are the Jays doing way down there? Anyway, the Jays will pitch Chad Jenkins again. He is 1-0 with a 3.49 ERA so far. Not bad, right? But his WHIP is 1.90 and he is not blowing hitters away. So it is a bit of a mirage. Jason Marquis has pitched well in San Diego.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Astros: The Astros have won two in a row. Three seems impossible. But stranger things have happened. I like the Angels' offense against Dallas Keuchel. The only question is how good Tommy Hanson will be.
Games of the Day: 36-22