Ten correct picks out of fifteen is nothing to sneeze at. But I still have to laugh at picking the Marlins to win. Heh. What a dope. The logic behind that pick was that the Marlins--as bad as they are--are still going to win 50 games this season. So you have to pick them once in a while. Yesterday was not that day.
A lot of the correct picks were sort of lucky. The Astros coughed up their game to the Pirates with two errors in the ninth and a collision in the outfield that allowed the winning run to score. The Red Sox, Indians and Nationals all won in extra innings. But hey, they all count against you when they go wrong, so I will take them all.
It is time to look at Saturday baseball, which features six day games. There should be something for everybody today. The picks:
- The Cubs over the Mets: Scott Feldman has been grooving and as long as he keeps grooving and not grooving fastballs in the zone, he should win today over Jeremy Hefner, who is not having a good season. David Wright is on fire though, so watch out for him.
- The Indians over the Mariners: The Indians are tied for first place in the AL Central. That seems sort of incredible. But there it is. Zach McAllister has been decent, particularly in his last three or four starts. Joe Saunders for the M's can be great or terrible depending on the day.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: This is the Blue Jays' best chance to win a game in this series with David Phelps starting for the Yankees. But the Yankees seem to have the Jays' number thus far this season. If Phelps can keep the big boys in the yard and Brandon Morrow does not pitch well, the Yankees will win.
- The White Sox over the Angels: My gosh, the Angels are in this endless funk. Albert Pujols is batting .242. Josh Hamilton is at .210. They keep insisting that Aybar is a lead-off batter. Ugh. Joe Blanton is 0-7. What are the odds of him winning? Like zero? Hector Santiago with the win.
- The Phillies over the Reds: The Phillies are going to win just enough games this season to force them to keep everybody when what they really need is a trade or three to rebuild. Kyle Kendrick is a pitcher I always mock, but he always wins. So what does that tell me? The Reds are confusing and Bronson Arroyo is at the head of that class.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: Jair Jurrjens makes his first start for the Orioles. Those situations always scare me. I picked against Ramon Hernandez (I miss Fausto) last time and he was quite good. So I will go with the Rays with Longoria in the middle of it.
- The Diamondbacks over the Marlins: Man, D-back fans are totally surrealistic sometimes. Pick against their team and they take it totally personal. I am just picking games over here. One called me ignorant yesterday. Sheesh. Okay, okay, I will never pick against your team again. Brandon McCarthy over a kid named Tom Koehler.
- The Twins over the Red Sox: I think I am zero for Scott Diamond this season. Pick against him and he throws a gem. Pick with him and he gets knocked out early. He has a chance if he pitches well today since Ryan Dempster is going for the Red Sox.
- The Braves over the Dodgers: Los Angeles is not having much baseball fun this season is it. Between the Angels and the Dodgers, which is more disappointing? Today will not be any better as the Dodgers run Chris Capuano out there and the Braves have enough power to make that hurt. The only problem with this pick is Kris Medlen, who has not pitched well for the Braves.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: This pick sounds easy. Lance Lynn has been unbelievable. The Cardinals' offense has been on fire. Matt Holliday is quietly having a great season. It should be an easy pick. Nothing is ever easy with the Cardinals. I would suggest they walk Aramis Ramirez today. That guy loves him some Cardinals. Marco Estrada goes for the Brewers.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: This is a really good series and they have split their first two games. The Rangers have to be the pick at home, though Justin Grimm is no lock by any means. Anibal Sanchez is capable of a shut down game anytime he takes the mound. Rangers at home.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Tim Lincecum at Coors Field does not sound fun. But then again, neither does Tyler Chatwood. This game will be like 10-8 with the Giants coming out on top.
- The Nationals over the Padres: My man! Jordan Zimmermann! Got to go with him and ride him like the horse he is. Eric Stults is totally baffling to me and I do not think I have picked one of his starts correctly.
- The Royals over the Athletics: The Coliseum should keep Ervin Santana's gopher balls in the park and when he is not giving them up, he is okay. Tommy Milone can be tough at home. This game will be low scoring like last night's. Either team can win, to be honest with you.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Pirates over the Astros: Wow, was last night the ultimate disaster for the Astros? What a way to lose a ballgame. A.J. Burnett will get a win and Erik Bedard will not remind anyone of the stuff he used to have.
Season: 361-257 First time over the 100+ mark.
Games of the Day: 33-13