Saturday, June 21, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: June 21, 2014

Here I am getting up early in a hotel room so I can complete the task of getting these game picks up today before getting on a plane to head to Florida. And after last night's results, I wonder if it's all just a bad joke on you readers. It was a horrible day of picking. Just about every visiting team won games last night. The Game of the Day feature actually featured the Reds who had an eight run lead in the game and they lost. How bad is that?
Oh well, I have to get moving here. I have to hurry this morning. Saturday's picks:
  • The Orioles over the YankeesVidal Nuno is like nitro in Yankee Stadium. Bud Norris does not instill confidence either. But he has to be better than Nuno at home.
  • The White Sox over the Twins: No, picking two visiting teams to win so far is not an overreaction. It's a coincidence. I simply like Andre Rienzo better than Kevin Correia.
  • The Royals over the Mariners: The Royals do all that fighting to get to first place only to lose to the Mariners? They shouldn't lose today though. Chris Young is good at home in Seattle, but not on the road. Jason Vargas should be better.
  • The Athletics over the Red SoxRubby De La Rosa has had three good starts and one bad one. I predict a bad one today. Jesse Chavez holds the Red Sox to a couple of runs.
  • The Astros over the Rays: Yet another Major League debut tonight as Jake Buchanan takes the mound for the Astros. He is not a big arm, but relies on control and contact. I think that will play well against the Rays. Besides, Jake Odorizzi is really struggling.
  • The Brewers over the RockiesChristian Friedrich is a former #1 draft pick who got a short shot in 2012 and was terrible. He has been terrible in the minors too, so I'm not sure why he was brought up to pitch in the Majors. Then again, he pitches in Colorado Springs, one of the worst pitching parks in the minors. Let's go with Wily Peralta instead.
  • The Marlins over the Mets. I seriously have both Jacob deGrom and Tom Koehler on my fantasy team. So who do I start? Both?
  • The Phillies over the Cardinals: I am seriously stressing over Adam Wainwright pitching tonight. Is he okay? The Cardinals always have trouble with lefties and that's what Cole Hamels is. And Hamels has been hot.
  • The Blue Jays over the Reds: How can you count on the Reds after last night? Sheesh. Mike Leake can get bombed here. I still can't adjust to J.A. Happ as a good pitcher. How did that happen any way?
  • The Nationals over the Braves: Here's the thing...I have predicted the Nationals over the Braves a hundred times and it's never correct. Ever. The Nationals simply cannot beat the Braves. Ever. But the one time I didn't pick the Nats, they would win, right? Doug Fister over Julio Teheran.
  • The Indians over the Tigers: I am however tired of picking Justin Verlander to win when he never does. So I'll pick Trevor Bauer. So when Verlander actually does win tonight, you'll know why I picked the Nationals. Does any of this make sense to you? Because it doesn't to me.
  • The Cubs over the Pirates. The Cubs started the horrid picking day yesterday by beating the Pirates. I do like Travis WoodVance Worley was really good in his first outing. Seriously.
  • The Dodgers over the Padres: The Dodgers are such a weird team. Anyway, Josh Beckett over Tyson Ross, even though Ross can be good at home.
  • The Giants over the Diamondbacks: This is not a ringing endorsement for Ryan Vogelsong, who worries me pitching in Arizona. It's more of a sad recognition that nothing good happens when Brandon McCarthy pitches.
And the Game of the Day:
Yesterday: 5-10 (ugh), June: 147-128, Games of the Day: 39-38, Season: 600-509

No comments: