Thursday, August 14, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Thursday: August 14, 2014

I really thought I was headed for a bad day of picking and the picks stood at 4-6. But then the picks went on a run and the last six were correct to finish at 10-6. I'll take it. The only extra-inning game went the wrong way of course. Any day you pick the Cubs and Padres and Twins to win and they all do, that is a pretty good day.
There are ten games on today's schedule and here are the picks:
  • The Dodgers over the Braves: This pick did not work out so well yesterday and a year ago, I never would have picked Roberto Hernandez. But his last four of five starts have been very good and he has won his last two decisions. That means I have to pick against Aaron Harang, some thing I paid dearly for earlier in the year.
  • The Tigers over the Pirates: The Tigers finally broke through against the Pirates last night and I didn't see it coming. I do tonight though with Max Scherzer on the mound. Of course, Francisco Liriano could match him zero for zero and then the bullpen sinkes the Tigers. But we'll see.
  • The Royals over the Athletics: I said from the very beginning that I was worried about the A's offense without Cespedes and I have been right on. Only once has the A's' offense resembled what they were doing earlier in the season. James Shields gets to earn his nickname and the Royals get to Jeff Samardzija.
  • The Brewers over the Cubs: As stated numerous times, I hate when Edwin Jackson pitches. I never know what he is going to do. But for me, the pick comes down to what I like about Mike Fiers. I think the guy is going to be a star. The Brewers just have to keep him in the rotation.
  • The Marlins over the Diamondbacks: Hahahaha! I'm picking the Marlins to win and Brad Penny is pitching. That's a riot. I've completely gone insane. Weeee. Let's ride this puppy! Chase Anderson goes for the Diamondbacks.
  • The Red Sox over the Astros: I sure would like to see the Red Sox try a couple more of their farm guys. But no matter, Allen Webster will win this game and the Red Sox will muster enough offense to beat Scott Feldman.
  • The Nationals over the Mets: Here I am again with the dilemma named Stephen Strasburg. He should never lose a game. But he hardly ever wins a game, especially on the road and especially when I pick him to win. I guess I'll keep picking him and eventually it will come true. Dillon Gee goes for the Mets and he is a quality pitcher.
  • The Padres over the Cardinals: Don't look now, but Eric Stults has won two in a row and both have been against contenders. Imagine that! Plus, the Padres are hitting better and have Liriano, a powerful rookie mashing baseballs. John Lackey, look out. You might get ambushed here.
  • The Rockies over the Reds: I'm going to continue picking Alfredo Simon to continue his slide since the All Star Break. He has shown nothing since the break...nothing at all. Jorge De La Rosa should win this home game.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Rays over the Rangers: I get really confused between Robbie Ross and Robbie Ray. One of them is good and the other isn't. I'm pretty sure this one, Robbie Ross, is the one that will get cuffed around by the Rays. Jake Odorizzi pitches.
Yesterday: 10-6, August: 100-80, Games of the Day: 71-54 (+2), Season: 994-827

No comments: