Saturday, May 09, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: May 9, 2015

The numbers were good, getting ten out of fourteen correct with one postponement. But the Pick of the Day was Matt Harvey and he got beat by Cole Hamels. And I shouldn't have picked against those plucky Twins. But overall, a good day of picking. I hope David Price isn't injured seriously. Oh. and I still can't figure the Indians out. Why are they so bad?
Saturday's picks:
  • The Yankees over the Orioles: I do worry about Warren and Chase Whitley being featured back to back. They are too similar. But at this point, the Yankees are tough to pick against the way they are playing. Wei-Yin Chen will try to even the series for the O's.
  • The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: Both Drew Hutchison and Joe Kelly are struggling. I like the match-up of the Blue Jay batters against Kelly's fastball.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: These two teams really play tough and the margin for error is small for either team. Anibal Sanchez is really throwing well now and Jeremy Guthrie can give up three or four runs.
  • The Nationals over the BravesBryce Harper is out of his mind right now. Doug Fister is in a groove and I'm not sure even a great performance by Julio Teheran would beat the Nats.
  • The Reds over the White Sox: The two teams will play two today after yesterday's cancellation. In the first game, Johnny Cueto should beat Hector Noesi.
  • The White Sox over the Reds: I'm going with young phenom, Carlos Rodon over Jason Marquis in the second game.
  • The Twins over the Indians: I'm done picking the Indians and against the Twins. That combination just isn't working for me. Phil Hughes showed promise in his last start that April is over and he'll be good now. Bruce Chen lives to fight another day for the Indians.
  • The Rangers over the Rays: I have a good feeling that Ross Detwiler is better than he has pitched thus far and being in a big park will help him. Matt Andriese is an unknown for me as just another young Rays pitcher.
  • The Phillies over the Mets: I will not pick against Aaron Harang. I will not pick against Aaron Harang. Even though I love Jon Niese against the Phillies. Hmmm...
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: What is this fatigue thing with Carpenter? What's that all about? He is a key player for the Cards. But I still think they win as Carlos Martinez has been really good and Vance Worley shows that the Pirates are too think in their rotation.
  • The Cubs over the BrewersTravis Wood relies on contact being fielded. That is troublesome. But it often works. Kyle Lohse is pretty much the same. This might be fun for the batters today. Whatever happened to Ryan Braun?
  • The Dodgers over the Rockies: I'm not sure about Clayton Kershaw at Coors Field. But I also know that Jorge De La Rosa hasn't looked good so far. It looks like Puig is going to be out a while.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Padres: The Padres are so hard to read. Great offense on paper. No defense. It's such a different mold for them. I like Chase Anderson today in a match-up against Tyson Ross.
  • The Angels over the Astros: As one of my favorite commenters said the other day, It's weird when Dallas pitches for Houston. And Dallas Keuchel is very good. But he has to lose some time and to Matt Shoemaker seems like the right time to pick against him.
  • The Mariners over the Athletics: I like this match-up for the Mariners when they are at home. I'm not sure I like J.A. Happ being their pitcher today. But then again, Jesse Hahn hasn't been great either.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Giants over the MarlinsDavid Phelps has pitched really well for the Marlins but has little to show for it. I don't seem him winning a head to head with Madison Bumgarner.
Yesterday: 10-4, May: 61-49, Season: 225-214, Picks of the Day: 18-15

No comments: