Nothing went right for any game that started after 7:10 ET. Jeff Karstens was superb as this picker thought he'd be and he beat the Fan's pick, Bud Norris, who was also great. Pirates back to .500. Josh Collmenter's legend took a hit last night as he lost. The Bay Rays beat the Red Sox. That was a surprise. The Cubs beat the Brewers in a comeback while the Nationals came back to beat the Cardinals. Both of those things shouldn't have happened. The Rockies beat the Padres and Wade LeBlanc. Probably a bad pick there. Clayton Kershaw couldn't beat the Reds as Johnny Cueto was better. Understandable. But unfortunate for this picker.
The Fan has his work cut out for him now. It's Wednesday and the Fan has to pull this week out of the pit of shame. Here are the picks:
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Probably Kyle Kendrick will pitch the first game of this double-header. Normally that would tilt things to the Marlins. But the Marlins counter with a guy named Elih Villanueva, a Triple A pitcher with an ERA over 5. Not good.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Things don't get better in the nightcap as the Marlins get Roy Halladay. Anibal Sanchez goes for the Marlins.
- The Dodgers over the Reds: Clay Billingsley is good at home and should beat Travis Wood there.
- The Rockies over the Padres: Matt Latos has been on a roll, but Jhoulys Chacin has also been hot. The Rockies at Coors.
- The Tigers over the Indians: Alas, the magic of the Indians has evaporated. It was fun while it lasted. Brad Penny over Fausto Carmona.
- The Cardinals over the Nationals: Defense is killing the Cardinals. Kyle McClellan is supposed to pitch. Livan Hernandez goes for the Nationals. The Cardinals will have to score ten to win.
- The Yankees over the Rangers: The Yankees own Derek Holland. Own him. Ivan Nova though? We'll see.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Jake Arrieta has been very good. But the Orioles never beat the Blue Jays. Ricky Romero goes for the home Blue Jays.
- The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: Josh Beckett will benefit after Tim Wakefield got the Bay Rays all off-kilter. Seriously though, the Bay Rays' offense has been off-kilter already. Jeremy Hellickson with the loss.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Carlos Zambrano threw like a thousand pitches in his last outing. Chris Narveson with the win. Also a battle of two really good hitting pitchers.
- The Pirates over the Astros: Charlie Morton throws salt into the Astros' wounds. Did you get it? Anyway, he beats J. A. Happ.
- The Twins over the White Sox: When are the Twins going to make up all those rained out games? Same match up as yesterday. Carl Pavano over Gavin Floyd.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: Madison Bumgarner and Joe Saunders are a combined 5-14. One of them has to win. The Panda is back, which helps the Giants.
- The Royals over the Athletics: Trying to figure out when the Royals are going to win is like playing, "Pin the tail on the donkey." Luke Hochevar seems like the right pick over Josh Outman.
- The Mariners over the Angels: This game is an unabashed emotional pick for Erik Bedard. Sorry. Ervin Santana with the loss. Ichiro is hitting again.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Mets over the Braves: This Fan is going to ride Dillon Gee until he has saddle sores. Tim Hudson with the loss.
Week: 15-23 ugh
Games of the Day: 46-30