As for yesterday's games, the only laughable pick (in retrospect) was the Marlins over the Phillies. Geez, how stupid can the Fan be? The Fish are now 5-26 since June 1 and this picker expected them to win? Right. Stupid. This picker also refused to pick the Royals and they won. Zach Duke won for the Diamondbacks. Never would have seen that coming. Dan Haren out-pitched Justin Verlander. Put two aces out there and anything can happen. Scott Baker got hurt. Capps almost blew the save, but Glen Perkins came in and got Johnny Damon on a really close play at first to get a win for the Twins over the Bay Rays. The Fan had the Bay Rays. And Tim Stauffer bit the Fan in a Padres win over the picked Giants. Stauffer got 14 ground ball outs. Typical for him.
The week is almost out of the hole. Wednesday has fifteen more games for us:
- The Twins over the Bay Rays: The feeling here is that all those lefty bats for the Twins will get to Wade Davis and that Francisco Liriano will pitch good enough to win.
- The Diamondbacks over the Brewers: The Brewers have fallen on hard times lately. Their starters, including Yovani Gallardo, aren't getting it done and when they do, the bullpen fails. Josh Collmenter will need to be better than he has been lately.
- The Royals over the White Sox: Bruce Chen can keep the Royals in the game long enough for the young hitters to get some runs off of Edwin Jackson.
- The Angels over the Tigers: The Tigers seriously confuse the heck out of this picker. Are they a contender or not? Brad Penny gets beat by Tyler Chatwood.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: Jason Vargas has been very good. Guillermo Moscoso looks great at times. Neither team can hit. Going with the Mariners in a toss up.
- The Nationals over the Cubs: This Fan still thinks the bullpen arms for the Nationals are going to fall off one of these days. But Tom Gorzelanny gets the nod here over Randy Wells.
- The Pirates over the Astros: Poor Bud Norris. He's just drowning on this team. The Pirates are such a nice story. It's hard to pick against them despite the disbelief that pitchers like Charlie Morton are pitching this well.
- The Yankees over the Indians: This pick is far from a lock. Phil Hughes is making his first start back from the DL and frankly, if he can pitch as well as the deposed Ivan Nova did, it would be a surprise. Justin Masterson gets another hard luck loss.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Yeah, yeah, Kyle Kendrick is starting and yeah, Anibal Sanches is good. But picking the Marlins has been such a dead end for this picker that it just can't be done anymore.
- The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: The Blue Jays were robbed last night as that play at the plate that ended the game was a bad call. Tim Wakefield will get hit and Ricky Romero rises to the occasion.
- The Rangers over the Orioles: Alexi Ogando looks to be back on track. Jeremy Guthrie needs to pitch well enough to get the Orioles some good prospects in a trade. Yes, it's come to that.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Having Albert Pujols back means Berkman goes back to the outfield, weakening the defense. But the Reds simply can't beat the Cards in St. Louis. Jake Westbrook over Bronson Arroyo.
- The Dodgers over the Mets: Hiroki Kuroda is a really good pitcher that is going to get traded. Jonathan Niese is a sometimes really good pitcher. Hard to pick the Dodgers these days though.
- The Giants over the Padres: Madison Bumgarner shouldn't have any trouble picking up his fifth win. Dustin Moseley had a good run, but he's losing games consistently.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Rockies: Key injuries for the Rockies help Jair Jurrjens pick up his 12th win while Aaron Cook won't fool many of the Braves' hitters. Freddie Freeman is really hot.
Games of the Day: 61-36